Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-13-2011, 03:38 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
Originally Posted by rick82
I have been looking at buying a metal halide for a while now and one has come up at an affordable price. Is it possible to have too much light beacause its 2 x 250 watt halide's?
Not for an anemone. For corals yes. I would put it lower in the tank if you're worried about it. Or remove a bulb.

Don't try to fix something that isn't broke. You just might end up breaking it

30g FOWLR Tank
8g Mantis Shrimp Tank
all4wheels2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:47 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Newbie
The tank is 185L. though i measured the actual water from the sand to the top of water line and took into account the Rock and filters and worked it out at about 100 litres, 21 gallons.
Now this would give me aproximatley 3.1w/litre of water. Is this still a bit low and the reason the BTA is not doing well?
Do i take into account the amount of actual water, or the the volume of the tank itself?

rick82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:55 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
We use watts per gallon as a general guide, but we're not illuminating volume pet se. It's got more to do with lumens per square foot. (I believe that is lux. Someone correct my terminology.) you need the right spectrum at the right intensity reaching the animal for the right photoperiod. Anemones need intensity, and I don't think you have enough. I can't recall how deep your tank is, but as the tank gets deeper, you lose intensity.

It is a violation of federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labelling.
Rutrag is offline   Reply With Quote

bubble, bubble tip

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com