Bulging brain coral.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Talked to the owner of my lfs yesterday and he seemed to think It's tube worms or algae "pearling" under the flesh on the rock. It's not bubble algae and they are definitely air bubbles. They escape out the mouths of the coral. It's not doing any damage to the coral, yet. Keeping my eye on it.

Talked to the owner of my lfs yesterday and he seemed to think It's tube worms or algae "pearling" under the flesh on the rock. It's not bubble algae and they are definitely air bubbles. They escape out the mouths of the coral. It's not doing any damage to the coral, yet. Keeping my eye on it.

Im glad you were able to get at least some kind of answer! Keep us posted, good luck!

Thanks man. Good luck with your corals as well! Hope that Duncan opens up real nice now that your calcium is down where It's supposed to be. Get that KH checked as soon as you can.

Thanks man. Good luck with your corals as well! Hope that Duncan opens up real nice now that your calcium is down where It's supposed to be. Get that KH checked as soon as you can.

That's the plan! I have to order the tester lol

Been following this thread.... any new update on brain? Are there still bubbles? I'm interested b/c I would like to get one. I have not had good luck keeping them in the past but I've gotten better lighting since then.

I've been watching it closely the last few days. The bubbles were much smaller today and only in 1 spot. It looks fine and haven't seen any worms or parasites on it. Not really sure why air bubbles are forming under the flesh of it. The only thing I can think of that would cause air bubbles like this is algae pearling. But algae shouldn't be able to grow under the coral because there isn't enough light for algae to grow inside,underneath it. Still perplexed. Only thing that has changed was the higher spectrum lights. Same watts just 15000k instead of 10000k.

I used to have a favia that got bumps like that on it but it would always go away eventually. I just thought it was growing in that area. It never caused any problem, had it for about 4 months and it grew great.

Yeah it looks healthy and has been feeding real good since I put the new bulbs in my fixture. Just has air bubbles under it.

Back
Top Bottom