Burns on a pagoda

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ambulocetus

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,

Well last night my heater suction cups gave out, and this morning when I looked in the tank, the heater had migrated around the tank and was resting up against my pagoda. When I attached the heater back, and looked at my pagoda, i can see a definite white stripe about 1/4 inch wide, and about 3.5 inches long. I am guessing that obviously this is a burn, however I would like to know if there is anything i can do to stop the damage spreading out? The rest of the coral is partially out, and looking okay, but I am a little worried that I might lose it all...Is there anything I can do to prevent losing the whole thing, will it just grow back into its old skeleton, and will the stress cause it to release anything majorally toxic into my tank?

Thanks for all the help,

Jon

Best first step is a few large water changes with well aged/aerated SW. Be sure the water specs are as healthy as you can get them. The corals chances are usually good for a full recovery when it comes to minor injuries provided tank health is optimum. Run some good quality carbon to remove any nematocysts from the water as well.

The main thing to be watchful for is necrosis and/or brown jelly disease. The coral may recede in the parts directly in contact with the heater but the overall colony should survive. If necrosis does set in, you will need to frag healthy area's to salvage the corals but that's as a last resort. The polyp exstension of the unaffected areas is a good sign though.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom