Cabbage leather dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cgthebeast

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have had a piece of Cabbage leather for months and it's done great, grown, molted, full polyp extension. Welp now the center has turned white and a hole the size of a pencil eraser has appeared but it's not acting like its dying? Like full extension and feeding behavior and everything. I know for fact nothing eating it. Is this some type of coral fragging

Some of mine do the same thing. If its growing and spreading I would not worry. Make sure you keep up with your PWC`s as the iodine in them is very beneficial to them. You might want to consider a iodine bath for it if it is not too big. Just get some kents iodine and put a capful in a container with SW. Do it for about 15-20 minutes and then return it to the tank.

I've read in a few different places that it could be fragging itself, have you ever seen yours do that?

Never seen that. They keep growing more of them but not by "fragging". I started out with one and now have 1/3 of a 125 gallon tank of them. As long as they are growing and multiplying you are good to go

I would love to post pictures of it but I've reached my limit a long time ago for those ?

http://s952.photobucket.com/user/cgant34/media/Mobile Uploads/image_zps9g12aieq.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Alright let's see if I did this right. This is it after my lights have been out all night. It's all about to milt again as its starting to get a real leathery look around the edges. I'll take a picture of it full expanded after I turn my lights on. But I just don't know, all my other coral are doing great, this one is still expanding and getting full polyp expansion. It goes from being the sized of my closed fist to the size of my open hand

Well, I'm far from a soft coral expert but that doesn't look good. Have there been any changes recently?
Also, on the side of the photobucket page, if you copy the IMG link you can post it right into your posts. Like so.

Sweet and no, nothing is new. I mean I added a few new corals but that was way after this started to happen. It's slowly getting larger. But with lights on its fine? It went from pen prick to pencil Eraser size. I know that toadstool leathers do something similar like this, but grow like stems then drop. An one subspecies of cabbage leather, which I believe I have cause that's the only thing? No pest or anything as I dip my coral

Will do, I wish I could post a picture of it fully out but it's in full molt now and looks worse for ware then anything but usually it expands so far you can't even see it any more

So since it was withdrawn into its molt I picked it up to have a look at it. On the back it's still attached to a smaller rock which is what it came on, it has now attached to a bigger rock but the crevice in between is completely white and where it is tearing on the back side

In my opinion and my own experience of having them cabbage is bullet proof and you can always cut The good pieces off and attach them to some rock and will start growing again.

Truthfully that Is probably what I'm going to do. First I want take a picture of it a post it when it's out of molt so you can see the difference about why I'm so confused about it

Try and cut them at least a couple of inches you can either stick them on with superglue or use a elastic band They may sulk for quite awhile and will take time to grow back just try to forget about them and make sure you keep them in the light to help speed up growth.

Alright welp I'm gonna be out of town for the weekend, but Ive got everything I need to frag it ready to go

So Intresting twist, came back home and the hole had already stretched to one side. And now it has put off a whole new coral( almost) it's bigger and more vibrant then ever and has like doubled in size? Also no more white spreding and the hole is starting to heal also. It had a bit of a molt going around the edges. I think what caused all of this was the fact it was over laying itself forever, so it stretched out?

http://s952.photobucket.com/user/cgant34/media/Mobile Uploads/image_zpssivosvvk.jpg.html

Back
Top Bottom