Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-09-2009, 04:14 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank2379 View Post
... You did mention that you added Polyfilter and Phophate Mesh Bag. ....
I didn't notice the "phosphate mesh bag" comment until Tank brought it up. What kind of phosphate remover are you using? If it's the aluminum-oxide based kind (white stuff), there've been reports of it causing problems with several different kinds of soft corals. A better phosphate remover choice would be the GFO (granulated ferric oxide) which is a rust color.

Not sure what kind you're using, but figured I'd bring it up just in case.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:30 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
I didn't notice the "phosphate mesh bag" comment until Tank brought it up. What kind of phosphate remover are you using? If it's the aluminum-oxide based kind (white stuff), there've been reports of it causing problems with several different kinds of soft corals. A better phosphate remover choice would be the GFO (granulated ferric oxide) which is a rust color.

Not sure what kind you're using, but figured I'd bring it up just in case.
Hello,

I use Poly filter and 4 bags (the white ones that claim to limit phosphate). My phosphate reading is always zero. Should I not use the white stuff then? What kind of problems did they cause and why? DP

Old 07-09-2009, 07:04 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's an article...

Chemistry and the Aquarium

... and you can also do some googling for "phosguard soft coral problems" and find more stuff.

Seachem (maker of Phosguard), of course, says that aluminum oxide based phosphate removers are not harmful to reef aquaria. They've published several papers refuting the problems folks have seen using these types of phosphate removers. Granted... proving a direct cause/effect relationship in our tanks is near impossible, but there's been enough anecdotal evidence from reefers to make a person leary of using aluminum oxide based products - especially when there have been no side effects reported using the GFO products.

Basic problems reported are "withering away" of certain species of soft corals. Since I run GFO, I never really pay too much attention to what species have issues, so I don't know if xenia is one of those that have been reported to have problems.

Now that I think of it... you recently had a leather melt down, didn't you?
Old 07-09-2009, 07:12 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
I would remove the phosphate media unless you are really over feeding and have a high Bio-load. Kurt is correct GFO is the way to go which could be found on BRS site which is the best to use... JMO
Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:38 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Great advice. I am going to toss out all those pouches and try something else. Last night I went to the LFS and I saw a tank full of Xenia (the light pink ones that pulse alot) all over the rocks. I was advised this type is the most undemanding and easy to keep. He told me that these are growing so fast in his tank so I bought one. So far, it is pulsing so I am going to keep an eye on it. He also told me that they will die if temperature gets above 80 degrees. DP
Old 07-18-2009, 12:29 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a large one that is going... okay. And serveral little ones going great. Maybe it's just a life-span thing.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:05 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell0605 View Post
I have a large one that is going... okay. And serveral little ones going great. Maybe it's just a life-span thing.
The three frags I have are now doing fine and I love their pulsing action. I think they are the "daisy" variety (short stalk and pinkish in color). I am kind of worried because my water chemistry was all zero (including Nitrate) but so far so good. DP
Old 07-20-2009, 03:01 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Great, keep up the good work!

Tags
xenia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com