Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-05-2009, 10:19 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Calling all Xenia Experts....

Greetings,

I have a problem of keeping my Xenia alive as they do well in the first month then refuse to open up then wither away. My current one is showing signs of that. All other corals (open brain, colt, frog spawn, hammer heads, tree, toadstool, candy cane, deadman fingers) are doing well. The Xenia is not placed anywhere near others. I do PWC 20 gallons every two weeks in my 125 gallon with sump. I feed plankyton liquid 13 ml everyday. Water chemistry (tested weekly) and re-confirmed with LFS test.

1. Ammonia and nitrite are zero.
2. Nitrate is 5 ppm. A month ago it got to 15 and was quickly corrected (no more pork chops ever since).
3. Ph is 8.3
4. dKH is 8.0
5. Salinity is 1.025
6. Calcium is 375-425.

I have 8 T5 light bulbs with 6 @ 39 Watts and 2 @54Watts running 12 hours/day. I have 3 Kolia 3 powerheads.

I have polyfilter and phosphate mesh bags(5) placed in the sump. So with what I believe to be excellent water quality, something is making the Xenia unhappy (please don't tell me pork chops...). All the fish are thriving including the difficult to keep Powder Blue. Please advise. DP

Old 06-19-2009, 02:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here's my take ...

Hello all,

I am suprised no one has responded to this question so I did some research online and talked to other aquarists. The general agreement is Xenia can thrive and spread like crazy in the tanks while others find impossible to maintain. I believe Xenia needs to have a certain level of nitrate to thrive. I had a LFS tested their tank water where the Xenia are thriving and the reading was about 18 ppm. Since my tank Nitrate is at 5 at the highest, no wonder why it never got settled in. Also I think Xenia has a short lifespan and that explains why some go into decline for no reasons. DP

Old 06-19-2009, 03:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Why are you running your lights 12 hrs a day. No more than six is needed. Do you have an algae problem. I couldnt tell you about the xenia... however maybe they dont like all the light. Like I said no more than 6. If you have actinic blues wake your corals up gently with these and then blast em with whatever bulb you are using to simulate day.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

DR. I think that 12 hrs a day is fine. Am I to believe that you are using only T-5's as your light source? Xenia's seem to do better in a dirty tank so to speak. Where in the tank are your's located?
PS: glad to see your fish are off the "Pork chop diet"
Old 06-19-2009, 03:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostKnife View Post
Why are you running your lights 12 hrs a day. No more than six is needed. Do you have an algae problem. I couldnt tell you about the xenia... however maybe they dont like all the light. Like I said no more than 6. If you have actinic blues wake your corals up gently with these and then blast em with whatever bulb you are using to simulate day.
Hello,

You only need 6 hours a day? I thought it should be 12? Yes, I have hair algea in my rocks and they need a shave when I do my PWC once every two weeks. I name my rocks "Little Don Kings". DP
Old 06-19-2009, 03:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
DR. I think that 12 hrs a day is fine. Am I to believe that you are using only T-5's as your light source? Xenia's seem to do better in a dirty tank so to speak. Where in the tank are your's located?
PS: glad to see your fish are off the "Pork chop diet"
TC,

I use only T-5 bulbs. When you say "dirty" you mean Nitrate higher than 15? DP
Old 06-19-2009, 04:38 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes...
Old 07-08-2009, 09:35 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hi there pulsing xenia's are funny things i had mine melt on me then next thing you know i had 6 new ones they grow again just from alittle bit of flash left on the rock i don't have a lot of flow and i don't have really high light try moving in darker spot mine seem to be doing really well now but if you read other forum's even some of the really good reef keepers cant keep them alive
Old 07-08-2009, 10:17 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
Actually I would have to go the other route I have T-5 6x 54 watts
3 ati blue plus 1 actinic white 1 midday and 1 blue plus special and my Xenia thrive under these lighting conditions- No Nitrate No Ammonia. You did mention that you added Polyfilter and Phophate Mesh Bag. Most Media will Absorpt most or allNutrients and Zooxanthellae that Xenia Thrive on which cause them to die off or stop growing. Especailly if you added your media all at once. I believe a few water changes should take care of it... Here is my Xenia at there best.
Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:35 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank2379 View Post
Actually I would have to go the other route I have T-5 6x 54 watts
3 ati blue plus 1 actinic white 1 midday and 1 blue plus special and my Xenia thrive under these lighting conditions- No Nitrate No Ammonia. You did mention that you added Polyfilter and Phophate Mesh Bag. Most Media will Absorpt most or allNutrients and Zooxanthellae that Xenia Thrive on which cause them to die off or stop growing. Especailly if you added your media all at once. I believe a few water changes should take care of it... Here is my Xenia at there best.
Greetings,

I spoke to many reef keepers and none of them can come to the same conclusion. Some say temperature (must be less than 84 F), high nutrients, low light, low or high flow, short life span etc... I gave up on Xenia recently because I cannot keep them alive more than a month. My water is best as it can be (for my ability of course). DP

Tags
xenia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com