Can a fish be... mental?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seepu

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank has been set up since mid November, my params are good, though my pH is a bit low at 7.9. Salinity is 1.024, ammo 0, nitrites 0 and nitrates 0 (I have NO idea how my trates are at 0, I suspected a bad test kit, and took it to LFS for confirmation... yep, 0)

Only inhabitants are 5 blue green chromis and a 2 inch yellow tang. I have had them a little over a week now.

Now.. the yellow tang...

I suspect he was fresh out of the ocean, he prefers grazing on the rocks to nori sheets or even spirulina enriched mysis, but he will take it when he's in the mood.

He is doing 3 very curious things.

He paces up and down the corner of the tank. I understand that wild caught fish tend to look for a way out, so to speak, so I understand this. (He is rubbing the glass, and has caused very mild cloudiness to his eye, I will have to watch that for infection.)

He will stare at the substrate. I mean STARE. He will lean a bit to one side or the other, and kind of swim in a lazy circle staring at the bottom. He might cover half the tank, staring, leaning from side to side, before he stops. He doesn't peck for food, and during this time, he will kind of lay his tail on the sand. (if that makes sense.) To me, it looks like kind of courting or nesting behavior.. but he's only 2 inches, and he is the only tang in the tank.

The last thing he does is FRANTICALLY try to fit in with the chromis crowd. He postures (not aggressively) and will pick one chromis to follow, and he follows the chromis. If he looses the fish he initially chose, he kind of panics, and superglues himself to another chromis. This may only last a minute to a minute and a half, max, and again, it resembles courtship.

Then it's back to either pacing the corners, staring at the substrate or swimming in and out of the rocks, nibbling for a meal. He is foraging less, and obsessing more.

He swims normally. No rapid breathing, no clamped fins, bright coloration, aware of his surroundings... He is just bizarre.

I guess he's my "special little guy."

Any thoughts, ideas.. am I crazy? Before we moved to Mexico, we had a FFRF and a YT that were best buddies. The tang would follow the FFRF around like a puppy.. so in that regard, my new "special" tang is similar... but this guy follows with more urgency...

Does my little guy have OCD? Is that possible?

(at this very moment, he is in between the rocks, nearly horizontal, foraging)

Sounds normal to me. Mine`s been doing that for 10 yrs now. One thing you will learn is yellow tangs come with an attitude.

Ok.. I guess he's just 'special.'

My next fish... will be more intelligent, and have more than 3 brain cells that bounce together.:bowl:

Back
Top Bottom