Can I be a dork for a minute?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blorkiemom

Aquarium Advice Freak
. . . and just say I am in love with my new true black percs? (I wanted false percs, as some of you recommened, but I couldn't find tank raised.) My toddler has named them Smudge and Squish (I thought for sure they would be Nemo and Marlin) and they seem to be headed towards pairdom (no fighting, always with each other; they were together at the LFS for a couple of weeks, I guess.) They are curious and cute and just a kick to watch. Now if I can just keep them alive for the next 6 weeks in QT . . .

[/dork mode]

I wanted false percs, as some of you recommened, but I couldn't find tank raised

Last time I checked...and it has been awhile, so this could be inaccurate...."Black Percs", are actually A. ocellaris ;)

You know, I have been trying to figure this out. The various websites that are selling them online say different things. The LFS I got them from is pretty good about carefully labelling their fish and they were specific that these were true percs (because I asked for ocellaris).

From Petsolutions.com:

Black Percula Clownfish
Black Percula Clownfish, Amphiprion percula var., is a darker variation of the “True” Percula Clown

From Drs. Foster and Smith:
Black Onyx True Percula Clownfish
(Amphiprion percula)

So is it possible that they are true percs after all? I don't really care--it's just nice to know what's in my tank. :) Is there a way to tell the difference through anything other than coloration?

It is my understanding from recent research that the difference between false and true percs is that false percs have a "much less defined black region separating the white and orange regions", I would say if they entire fish is mostly black, that would by diffinition make it a true perc, would it not???

Who knows, I'm pretty new to this whole saltwater hobby, so keep me updated :D, lol

HTH, Joshua...

Now if I can just keep them alive for the next 6 weeks in QT . . .

I know the importance everyone gives on using Q-tanks, but If I might ask a Question.

How do we know If the fish that don't make it in a Q die because they were sick? or if it's because they become sick from stress due to not being able to control amonia and trites or trates in a tank with no LS or LR.

ReefRaff said:
How do we know If the fish that don't make it in a Q die because they were sick? or if it's because they become sick from stress due to not being able to control amonia and trites or trates in a tank with no LS or LR.

Ah, but you can if you don't overload and do daily water changes until the tank stabilizes.

It is my understanding from recent research that the difference between false and true percs is that false percs have a "much less defined black region separating the white and orange regions",

That is a commonly accepted difference, but not completely accurate. The only real difference that I'm aware of are the dorsal rays, which is what blorkimom needs to count to figure out what it is. As I said it's been awhile (years) since I researched it, but at the time a completely black perc was actually A ocellaris. Do some research that is not found on a vendors site, my information is old and possibly very inaccurate.

I think the difference was 16 vs. 17 dorsal rays, or something like that (I looked around the net more last night)--given the challenge of counting the rays on a wiggly fish I may just call 'em "black clownfish" and call it a day. :) Either way, they're my little sweeties.

ReefRaff, I'll test frequently and do water changes as needed in QT. The tank is cycled (used LR) but I did see some ammonia right away when I added the fish. I learned through bitter, ignorant experience with goldfish the dangers of a new tank, and if anything happens to the fish it won't be because of ammonia or nitrites. :)

I have three different kinds of clowns in my tank. A orange ocellaris, a black ocellaris, and a black clown that is supposed to be a true black perc. The black ocellaris looks just like an orange one only black and white. The true black is shaped more like a sebae clown, has a yellow mouth and face and yellow pectoral fins. He only has two and a half white stripes two. He is also more (darker) black!

Back
Top Bottom