Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-01-2011, 12:53 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Can i do a ick treatment in my coral tank?

Can i do a ick treatment in my coral tank?

Today I got a new 6 line wrass when I put him in my tank I noticed white specs on him looks like it could be ick he is eating and seems to be fine should I take him out of my reef tank or should I treat the tank

Old 05-01-2011, 01:10 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Take him out and place him in QT. Most meds and treatments will harm/kill your coral.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:27 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Shoot, I was scared of that! I have lots of rock and coral already set up in my established 80 gallon bow front tank. I have so much rock in there, I think its going to be so hard to get him out.

If I can't catch the fish out of my tank. What else should I do? Is there anything I can use to treat the fish and not harm my corals and other three fish (2yellow tangs and a new purple fire fish I got as well today)?

Attached are two pictures of the fish and a picture of my tank with/without the moonlights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4041547804.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	36201   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1621479568.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	36202  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-521532193.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	36203   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-306368479.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	36204  

Old 05-01-2011, 02:10 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Remember that Ick appears as salt-like grains of white on the fish that is infected. It is a parasite that has a very distinct life cycle. It will drop off your fish and infest your tank substrate during parts of that cycle. Once your tank is infected, the fish that live in that tank are at risk.
There are several phenomenal threads at AA that deal with treatment of Ick. If you use the search engine to look up previous threads, you will find a wealth of information. Hypo salinity is my personal suggestion. Set up an inexpensive QT (doesn't have to be anything fancy) and treat from there. You already have an ailing fish. You don't want to take the chance of injuring other occupants of your tank. If you choose to treat with medication remember that once you expose any tank or live rock to some of those medications, it will be unsuitable for reef or coral use for some time. In general and IMO, if a treatment says it is reef safe, it is usually ineffective. The meds that are effective are not reef safe. Good luck with your fish and let us know if you have questions.

Tags
coral, eat, ick, tan, treatment

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com