Can I still save my wrasse with internal parasites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

solidsnakejv

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've had my melanaurus wrasse for about 4 years now and a few weeks ago I noticed that the belly was getting puffy. I thought maybe it was just eating too much or something.
Two days ago I came home and noticed it laying on its side breathing. At first I thought I was dead, but when I got close to it, it swam away.
I kept on looking for the fish and it eventually went to the bottom of the tank and laid on its side again.
Eventually it started swimming and I noticed that on one side of its belly it had a growth coming out of its belly. I figured it would probably die over night, but the following day it was swimming again, but later on it was on its side again.
I keep on thinking that it's going to die at some point because when I find it, it's on its side without moving; however, I still see it swim around the tank, although it's very rare. I can tell it's putting up a strong fight.
Is there anything that I could possibly still do for it? Or would it be too late at this point?
The other 4 fish in the 90 gallon reef tank are fine and eating without issues.
I know I should set up a quarantine tank for it and get mediation to treat it, but does anyone have any idea as to whether it's already too late to save it.
The belly is completely swollen, the growth is about the size of a pea (the wrasse is about 5 inches long).
Right now it's just laying on it's side at the bottom of the tank.
Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom