Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-20-2007, 05:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Can shrimp be a carrier for any fish diseases?

Hi. I have a friend who seems to have a sick fish. I don't know any more than that about it other than she will be treating the water with something. However, she says that the LFS told her to that this could harm her 2 cleaner shrimp.

She has asked if I could "shrimp-sit" for her in my tank until they clear up whatever the problem is in her tank.

I am a little concerned with this since everything is going so well with my tank right now. Is it dangerous to bring her shrimp into my tank for a few weeks? I would be careful not to bring any of her water into mine but could they carry the fish's disease?

Is there anything else I should consider before doing this?

Thanks for any help!

Protein Skimmer

Livestock: 80lbs LR; 4 Green Chromis; 6Line Wrasse; BiCo Blenny; Diamond Goby; Cleaner Shrimp; Assorted Snails/Hermits/Emeralds; Assorted Mushrooms; Leathers; Zoos; Hammer; Xenia; Star Polyps; Acropora
Rhetoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 05:47 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
!st of all, if she is putting something in there that can harm inverts (my guess would be some sort of copper treatment) if it is copper, she won't be able to put any inverts back into her tank.
What is wrong with her fish and what will she be using?
Generally, inverts don't carry the same diseases as fish do (I am sure there are eexceptions to that). If you are talking about parasites, I would venture to say the same. Make sure you acclimate her shrimp to your tank for at least 2 hours.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 05:54 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Most times they dont carry disease or parasites. My only concern if you plan on keeping them is what is going to happen once you put them in your tank. You will never get them out unless you tear your tank apart. You might want to keep them in them in the sump so as to have easy acess.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks for the responses. I believe it is copper that she will be putting into her tank. I am not sure what the problem is with her fish. Not sure what, if any, other inverts she may have. I'm not too familiar with her tank obviously. Just curious about how this will affect mine.

Catching them later is a concern. I may let them hang out in the sump like you suggested. Thanks again.
Protein Skimmer

Livestock: 80lbs LR; 4 Green Chromis; 6Line Wrasse; BiCo Blenny; Diamond Goby; Cleaner Shrimp; Assorted Snails/Hermits/Emeralds; Assorted Mushrooms; Leathers; Zoos; Hammer; Xenia; Star Polyps; Acropora
Rhetoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:54 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Well, if she uses copper in her tank, you won't have to worry about giving them back, since the copper will more than likely kill them and all future inverts.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:20 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

You might want to tell her that you should never put copper in a main tank. As Scott said it will kill all inverts and you`ll never be able to keep any in the future. Use only in a QT.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 06:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Copper only treats Cryptocaryon and Amyloodinium, marine ich and marine velvet respectively. Neither of these fish parasites can use the shrimp as a host, but either could be in the water used to transport the shrimp and could therefore infect your tank/fish next.

Tags
disease, diseases, fish disease, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com