Can someone help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like he may have just run into something?
Is he a new fish or easily spooked?
Stay on top of your water so it has the best chance to heal.

He may have. I've had him for about 2 years now. He didn't eat tonight which is very odd for him

looks like the beginnings of Popeye to me , this is when my Naso Tang had Popeye
img_3394749_0_580fa9afa76978cbb4b32392aeb89a4c.jpg

took a little more than 3 weeks for his eye to deflate and another 2 weeks before he was ready to go back home in his tank , when I treated I used tetracyline in my qt tank

looks like the beginnings of Popeye to me , this is when my Naso Tang had Popeye
img_3394788_0_580fa9afa76978cbb4b32392aeb89a4c.jpg

took a little more than 3 weeks for his eye to deflate and another 2 weeks before he was ready to go back home in his tank , when I treated I used tetracyline in my qt tank
You know that the OPs fish is a red squirrel also known as BIG EYE soldierfish???
FreshMarine.com - Big Eye Squirrel - Myripristis species - Blotcheye Soldierfish - Buy Cheap Red Squirrelfish at Wholesale

How is the fish doing svegas ?

yes I understand the big eye soldier fish is also known as popeye catalufa soldier fish .

granted the scientific name this has nothing to do with contracting this bacterial infection called popeye .

popeye is common in big eyed fish as there eyes tend to extend outward more , making it easier for them to injure there eyes on a sharpe rock or even a fight allowing the infection to set in , all it takes is the smallest scratch

note the bubble on the soldier than look at the bubble on the tang almost identical
both of these fish are considered as big eyed fish

my tang poked his eye on a Sharpe rock that's when the infection set in
most likely the soldier done something similar

this infection has nothing to do with the fishes scientific name just coincidence

Belly up and not eating...
I know it sounds stupid but does the eye look better?
Was the QT medicated? Do you know if parameters in QT were ok?
More importantly how is he now, is he swimming ok ?Just not eating?
You need to get him to eat if he is going to heal IMO.
The injury and weakness over this time he has not eaten will surely enhance his chance of infection or illness if it is not to late?

He is back In qt now. I have no clue how to get him to eat. And the eye looks a little better. He doesn't swim much kinda just hides a lot. Any suggestions to get him to eat?

is he being medicated in the QT?
Many say GARLIC will help stimulate the fishes appetite.Many places offer something like that. search 'kent garlic guard' for an example...
I would offer anything you have if you have not tried all yet.
I use frozen krill/prawn and my go to favorite of all fish mysis shrimp.The mysis are small possibly for him but few fish say no to them.

He is being medicated now. I have been using garlic. It's almost like he's blind and just doesn't see the food. But I'll try everything I have thanks for the help

If he seems blind he may be ? possibly just impaired at least...
Try turning the pumps/filter off before you feed him and let the water settle for a minute.
Then gently add food near him so it is easy for him to recognise and catch ...

Stressed out fish won't eat. From the issues being addressed to being moved back and forth into a hospital tank for treatment, that is more than enough for him to stop eating.
If he is being medicated in the hospital tank as long as he has a place to hide and water changes are keeping the ammonia and nitrite in check, he should come around with time.
The same goes for the display tank. Something was causing the stress. When it comes to pop eye and other diseases, this is from parameters. Looking at the picture originally, I didn't even see the eye issue as I was drawn directly to the red line down him which appeared to be burned gills to me. This along with the pop eye tells me that there are parameter issues in the tank to where ammonia and nitrite are to blame.

Back
Top Bottom