Can this yellow Tang be saved???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all again I have a question for you that if any of you know about me and my succeptiability to trying to help "sick" things will not be supprised I am asking.. My LFS (the worst lfs in the world I swear) has a yellow tang that has been in there for months. Well he was in there since I started coming to the store about 3 months ago..(I haven't bought anything since I was sold a $65 visi jet skimmer and a $24 50 gallon bag of IO) But it is literally a block or so from my house so I stop in everyonce in a while to just look at the fish as my Tank being so new I can only put in a few things.. Anyway this yellow tang has gone from yellow to almost white in his little 10 gallon LFS tank.. I noticed him today on my lunch break and I have a $50 gift certificate to there I have had since October (my BD) but I just can't see spending it on the livestock that just looks awful (dead fish whenever I am in there) or the overpriced dry goods see above.. The tang though seems ok just literally almost white and he is kinda small.. But I think that it is just because the "feeding" consists of squirting a 1/2 a syringe of Live Brine into any and every tank regardless of it's occupants and what they actually eat..I know that he needs greens to maintain color and all and I have an empty QT tank not torn down yet as I just put in my first fish on sunday night.. Do you think He has a shot or should I just let this go and get a healthy one..They have a Gobey in there too that I literally watch starve to death on my weekly visit as the "fish guy" says eventually he'll eat.. you can barley see him through the brine swimming in there but I know I do not have anywhere near the resources for him now.. that will be my last fish after my refugium gets bought and is up and running..But I can't help thinking I might be able to help that tang.. Input would be great If I can't save him I really would rather pass as I have yet to lose anything and am hoping to keep my streak alive..

Doan

I find myself doing mercy buys also. Tell the LFS that you will buy it for 1/2 price so you can save its life. Tangs are very hardy fish when treated and fed well.

I say no while they are hardy they are not that hardy if it looks sick stay away unless you like to waste money.. I know it is a sad to see these fish suffer but you just cant save them all.... look at it this way you said your self the lfs in ? sucks so why would you want them to stay in business if you buy that you are helping them stay open. I say find a better LFS that cares for the fish they sell JMO

Shoot...just ask them for it. I got a Pac tang that way for $10. It had Ich for months and months, hid all the time and no one would touch it. I told the fish guy I'd take off his hands for $10 while I was making another purchase. So they did. So I got a 6 inch Pac tang that I qt'd for a while and is now (7 months later) running laps around my tank. It hasn't grown any, which is a good thing because I only have a 55 gal...but it is doing well and colored back up just great. So all they can say is 'No'. But if ya don't ask....

Shoot...just ask them for it. I got a Pac tang that way for $10. It had Ich for months and months, hid all the time and no one would touch it. I told the fish guy I'd take off his hands for $10 while I was making another purchase. So they did. So I got a 6 inch Pac tang that I qt'd for a while and is now (7 months later) running laps around my tank. It hasn't grown any, which is a good thing because I only have a 55 gal...but it is doing well and colored back up just great. So all they can say is 'No'. But if ya don't ask....

Thanks for the input I will see if I can get him for a discount I think.. If he makes it through 5 or 6 weeks of QT we will make a decision regarding wether or not he goes in the big tank..... But I think you are right paying full price would not be a good idea...I have to think about it some more though......hmmmmmmm

Back
Top Bottom