can you have too many corals??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellygirl55

Aquarium Advice Activist
This sounds like a dumb question, but I read on some forum that you can have too many soft corals in your tanks and they will poison the water???? Has anyone ever heard of something like this?? Normally I would just think nothing of it, but I purchased a huge open brain, next day my Duncan and a whole zoo colony died??? Strange coisoidance??? Water levels are fine 0 ammonia etc

Adding a brain coral wouldn't cause anything to die. what i think you've heard is that soft corals can release toxins in the water, but usually not to the detriment of many other corals. it's kind of their defense mechanism.

Are you testing for calcium, alkalinity and magnesium? Those are the building blocks of keeping corals. :)

I had a tank full of softies and wasn't aware of them going toxic...until they all went downhill fast and died. My skimmer was going nuts during this time and I never put it together until it was to late.

I do not know if this will effect LPS or SPS, my LPS were fine and I did not have any SPS.

Ok, just checking :) thanks ya all
Got water tested at pda ( wanted to double ck my own readings) all looks good calc, alk kh etc

Back
Top Bottom