Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-25-2005, 09:15 AM   #1
Canary Blenny Sucked into PH Intake

After having my tank exactly the way I wanted it with my last addition (Canary Blenny) added some 6 months ago, I was shocked to see my blenny missing. I looked everywhere and then I remembered how I had had a percula that was not a strong swimmer get caught in the intake of my power head. There he was stuck to the intake. Surely enough, curiosity was probably the culprit. Can anyone give me any pointers on covering the intakes of aquaclear powerheads. I don't want to buy that big bulky sponge cylindrical contraption that they sell. I have two and the intake is a shallow circular chamber. Would jamming a cut piece of foam spongey material help or would that hurt the PH????
Old 08-25-2005, 10:39 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
What brand and model PH is it?

schoeplein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 10:07 PM   #3
They are aquaclears but I am not sure the model number.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
I can not imagine a powerhead having that much suction. I have a closed loop that is pulling in 8000 GPH and never had a problem. Maybe you could make a barrier around it with plastic mesh like they have at HD and lowes. It would not catch food etc. I never knew they had the plastic mesh until I had to come up with something to keep the neighbors cats out of my little boys sandbox. Turns out a bulldog worked better.
*The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist.
*If guns kill people...Spoons make Michael Moore fat.
Brenden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 08:08 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
LOL I had the same thing happen to my regal tang with 201. I took the ph out because I thought that it was fried, but i tried it the other day and it still works. I am not going to put it in my tank again though.
I'm not addicted... I can quit when ever I want...Wait...I'll just LOOK at the fish.

55 gal cycling. Will be FOWLR.
haus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 01:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
You can wrap a piece of quarter inch black plastic netting (like they sell for pond covers) around the intake and secure it with a rubber band. Very unobtrusive and effective. If it's hidden and the color won't matter, a mesh onion bag will work.
dianeww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 04:21 PM   #7
Sweet, thanks
Old 08-30-2005, 11:29 AM   #8
I have the aquaclear 4000. It killed a juvie false perc before. Then, I came home one afternoon finding my longhorn cowfish stuck face first in the PH. The fish is back to normal now.

But I had to buy the long cylindrical thing for it. You just have to buy that because it can actually help in the filtration too. Plus, point the flow director diagonally towards the surface, it is a great tool for wave making. Also, it will take time before the intake is jammed with residue (food, poop, algae, etc).

brenden, you'll be surprised how strong the suction is on a 360GPH PH. Sometimes it could be as stupid as a fish following an algae floating around or something (or any object) and ending up being sucked into the powerhead. It's that strong.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:19 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist
I just lost a Koran Angel this way on Sunday. Found him stuck to the intake of a maxijet.

"Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly." -Batman Costume warning label
Mrbill is offline   Reply With Quote

blenny, intake

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com