Candy Cain corals not doing well

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gdeeber

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have some candy cain coral and they have been suffering latly. It started out with some hair algae on one of them and then it spread to the other one and the third one does not have any hair algae on it but it does not look good. can someone help me out? Is it the aglae or something else? If it is the algea how do I help my corals?

My water perameters are as follows:
Temp. 77-78
PH - 8.4
SG - 1.025
Ammonia - 0
Nitrate - 0
Nitrite - 0
Calcium - 440
Carbonate Hardness 7dKH
Phosphate - 0

The hair algae can be detrimental to some corals...I lost some green zoos like that. I kept picking it off, but it would grow right back. Anyway...I used Algaefix by API for marine aquariums, and it knocked it out

I have power compact lights 420 actinic and 10,000 K

Is this a 2 bulb or 4 bulb fixture? Candy Cane corals dont demand a lot of light but will benefit from more light rather then less light. I have 2 colonies in my frag system, one is up high on a shelf right under a 175w MH and the other is on the sandbed shaded by other corals. The one up high is beautiful and full the other is nice but no where near as full and colored as the other. It could be your lighting isn't quite strong enough to keep the coral happy. You may want to try raising it in the tank.

Thank you for the reply Ziggy. I have the corals at the top of my rock structure which is about 10" from my lights. I have a Current USA Satellite hood with two split CF lights at 65 watts each light. (split meaning the light is a U shape and one side is 10,000K and the other is 420nm actinic). I have a picture of my candy cane when it was doing well but I'm not sure how to post pictures on this site.

If you are hosting your pics on photo bucket or some other pic hosting site you can just paste the link here and we will either see it or be able to open the link and view it.

I don't see what you are talking about.

If you can post a pic of the coral in it's unhappy state that might help us to figure out what is going on with it. I don't see any hair algae in those pics.

Back
Top Bottom