Candy Cane Coral Poly bailout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lilyestr

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Guys,
I have a 12 gallon nanocube DX with upgrade lighting to Steve's LED custom nanocube lights. It is WAY more light than I had before, and I think it had some good and bad effects. The bad being that my candy cane coral (which was a small 2-head frag) bailed out its polyps. It was near the surface and I can almost guarantee you it was getting fried. It was doing great (growing) just before the light change.
i rescued one of the polyps and placed it in a cup covered with a clear plastic piece I cut from a sandwich bag and put it on the sand bed to keep it from floating away. The polyp ate a big piece of meaty food right before it bailed out, so I know its alive.
Other corals and mushrooms are great, I think the candy cane should have been in a shady spot. . . I screwed up. My question is, has anyone successfully saved a bailed-out polyp this way? If so, do you have any suggestions?

I have had the coral 6 months. It was fine until the light change.
SG=1.027 (refractometer)
nitrate/nitrite=0.0
Temp=80.0
KH=200
Ph=7.5 (on strip test)
Other parameters good.
Other corals are fine, gorgonia, favia, rhodactis and button polyps are growing like weeds.

Back
Top Bottom