Candy Cane Coral Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdnelson99

Aquarium Advice Addict
Added a small Candy Cane frag a few weeks ago. It was doing great except it kept getting knocked over by the other critters. In an effort to find a more secure location I moved it up in the tank a bit and was able to wedge it solidly in a crevice. From that point on, it didn’t look well. I decided to move it back to the original spot. While trying to secure it, the skeletal stem broke off. I suspect I must have cracked it when I first moved it, which is why it didn’t look well. I have reattached what remains as of yesterday afternoon but I don’t see it perking up any yet. I know it is hard to say but do you think over time, it will heal itself and start doing better or did I do un-repairable damage to it?

As always, thanks for all the advice and help.

If you now have another frag of the candy cane it can come back as it;s own coral. Just find a secure place to put it this time. :)

Not too much flow and not too much light. I keep mine mid tank level.

If you now have another frag of the candy cane it can come back as it;s own coral. Just find a secure place to put it this time. :)

Not too much flow and not too much light. I keep mine mid tank level.

Thanks Carey. Makes me feel better. The piece the broke off is wedged in the rock pretty close to where I put the remaining part. It is just the stem with no head. Are you saying it may sprout as well? That would be way cool. LOL It would also be a bonus. I just mainly want the one I have to recover. It was doing sooooo well.

Oh, it has no head left? It may or may not re sprout....do you have a picture? I would think the main coral will recover, I mean when you frag one you are effectively taking off a stem and head right? lol I had a piece of my branching blasto fall off and I stuck it in a rock hole and it grew back, in fact it's flourishing. Go figure.

I'd have a better guess if I could see what happened to it.

Oh, it has no head left? It may or may not re sprout....do you have a picture? I would think the main coral will recover, I mean when you frag one you are effectively taking off a stem and head right? lol I had a piece of my branching blasto fall off and I stuck it in a rock hole and it grew back, in fact it's flourishing. Go figure.

I'd have a better guess if I could see what happened to it.

I will get a couple pictures when the lights come on. It was the main trunk that broke in two. The three original heads and the one that split off of one of the originals are still attached to the upper half of the main trunk. I guess I just need to wait and see what happens because there is no way I can remove the part that broke off. LOL

Here are the pics. The second is of the part of the trunk wedged in the rock. Might be about 1/2" in there. I will be floored if anything comes of it. Just hope the other section bounces back.

Back
Top Bottom