Candy Cane w/RTN maybe ..... UPDATE!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jermz79

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have this posted in my "Nano Pics" thread and revhtree told me he thinks it looks like it might be RTN. He advised me to frag the two polyps and place them away from other corals!!!

What do I do?

Thanks,
Jermz

Attachments

• p1010124_166.jpg
    p1010124_166.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 60
Can you post a pic of just the right side area where the damage seems to be. From what I can see at this angle is simple recession. Can be caused by a multitude of issues but at this point I see no need to frag it. There seems to be no sign of necrosis. If you can reverse/repair what's causing the recession, the tissue will regrow.

Please post your chem/water specs. Also how long you've had the coral, it's closest neighbour, water flow relative to the corals position & lighting....

Does the coral beauty and the shrimp leave it be or are they picking at it? Any hitchiker nudibrancs that you've noticed?

Cheers
Steve

This coral is in my 12gal. Nano so the Coral Beauty and shrimp are not culprits and no nudibranc's that I see. 48 watts of PC lighting water params are all perfect ... Ammo 0, Trites 0, Trates ~5, SG 1.025, temp 79.7, Cal 465, Alk 8, Ph 8.2. They are placed in an area of moderate flow in the sand and the nearest neighbors include a patch of GSP (up higher) and a Green/purple Ric. about 4" away (on the opposite side from the recession)!

At night all the polyps extend their feeders and look really good, I have fed them some Cyclop-eez and they go crazy ... gonna try some Mysis this weekend!

I've had them now for about 4/5 days, when I got them they looked worse ... I told the guy at the LFS they were not doing good and I had a better home for them so he let me have them for $5bucks!!!

Thanks steve-s

Jermz79

Jermz79 said:
48 watts of PC lighting
This species of LPS will typically accept a wide variety of lighting. When first introduced though, best to shade it a bit so as not to cause light shock. You have it in a good place on the substrate but the depth of the 12 gal vs the light intensity will need some acclimation...

This is a concern, especially with an ailing coral. High Ca causes further stress and can promote polyp bailout if it gets much higher. If using a saltmix with that kind of chemistry, there's not much you can do but something you should consider changing. If the saltmix is closer to NSW, do a few water changes to get that closer to 410-420 ppm

At night all the polyps extend their feeders and look really good, I have fed them some Cyclop-eez and they go crazy ... gonna try some Mysis this weekend!
Good stuff... this type of coral will definately benefit from targeted feedings. It will also help the recovery process.
I've had them now for about 4/5 days, when I got them they looked worse ... I told the guy at the LFS they were not doing good and I had a better home for them so he let me have them for $5bucks!!!
Even better news, this means that your tank is not the cause, you just need to tweek things a bit more optimally for it's recovery.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks steve-s ... I'm going to try and get that Ca down a bit and see if that helps!

Thanks again,

Jermz79

UPDATE!!!!!!!!

Well after about 2 weeks they seem to be doing better. I moved them up onto the rock work where I had a single head that was thiriving and now the other seem to be doing better as well. Expanding more and covering the skeleton that was showing on the edges. AND EATING LIKE MONSTERS :twisted: :twisted: !!

My digi is broke and I am waiting on a replacement as soon as I get it I will post more pics.

Back
Top Bottom