Candy coral trouble?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowsdime

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys been awhile since I've posted but my candy cane is looking a little shriveled. Seems ever since the power outages we had up here in late October last year we were w.o power for 10 or so days. And all the tank mates seem to have made it. But the corals especially my candy cane have looked a little tiny since then. Wondering if that has anything to do w it. It's under a 6 light t5 alittle above half way of the tank. It used to look healthy in that spot. The water parameters are fine ive been feeding it coral smoothie twice a week at night here's a few pics.

image-545696552.jpg

Attachments

• image-4226918049.jpg
    image-4226918049.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 83
Here's a shot of what it used to look like

Attachments

• image-837637473.jpg
    image-837637473.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 76
  • image-4245533122.jpg
    image-4245533122.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 103
It def isn't as inflated as it used to be, that is for sure. Any other changes besides the power outage? What powerheads do you use? Could they be sucking rather than blowing due to the power shortages?

Everything in the tank has been the same since then, I was heating the water on the gas grill to keep all the tank mates from freezing. But that was in oct. everything else seems to have bounced back but the candy cane. The only thing I can say that it's doing it looks like the individual polyps are dividing so maybe that's why they arnt inflating? The feeding tentacles come out when the lights are out and appears to be eating

That's actually what I we thinking.
I have 2 8-10 head colonies side by side and when a head divides it looks like crap for awhille. It probably took time to recover from the 10 day blackout, regain strength, and is now just looking dwindled because it's splitting. If everything else is OK, that's probably it.

Hope so but if that's how they reproduce, I think it was about a 10-12 polyp piece and more than half are dividing. It must be in good health if it's growing right

They look a lot nicer than mine been in tank almost 2 months and they still didn't inflate
another off wall question whats the best setting to use on camera I cant get a good pict that's not blurry

It is pretty blurry I can't really make it out. I think you need more light to get a pic thats not so blurry put all your tank lights on or put on a room light

Your setting is probably fine but the aperture on the camera is probably not receiving enough light. So when you go to take the picture any little movement you are making shows up as a blurry picture. This is fixed by either using a flash which can be tricky thru the glass of the tank. Or you can use more light in the room or in the tank.

Either that or your camera is not focusing, you'll need to set an auto focus or manually focus the csmea

Back
Top Bottom