Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-03-2004, 05:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

candycaine coral help

i have a question about candycaine corals it seems to be retracting. if you look at it where the white stripes in the coral are they are sticking out. looks like a bunch of fingers sticking out of the coral. is it going to die?? ive done 2 25% water changes in the last 2 days. all the levels are great.

Old 01-03-2004, 06:23 PM   #2
steve-s

Re: candycaine coral help

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerejohnson
ive done 2 25% water changes in the last 2 days. all the levels are great.
How is the light, tank size and the chem? alk/Ca?
Any nearby corals?
By parameters I am assuming you mean the NH3/NO2 are zero and the NO3 is quite low or zero?

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-03-2004, 06:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

the lighting is customsea life w/ moonlights 65/4, the tank is a 55 gallon. there is no near by corals, except the harry mushroom that you are helping me with but they are about 6 inches away from each other. readings are
ph 8.2
nh3/no2 = 0
no3 = 0
salinity 1.023
temp 80
ca= ? 220ppm im bringing it up slowly
alk ?
Old 01-03-2004, 06:43 PM   #4
steve-s

The salinity is a bit low. I would bump that up to 1.025 SG (35ppt) with the next few water changes. Is the candycane lower in the tank as well? They will do better lower in the tank with a decent set of lights which you have...

Most of yout problem may lie here....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerejohnson
ca= ? 220ppm im bringing it up slowly
alk ?
Definately get the Ca level a bit higher but at the same time make sure you get a proper alkalinity test kit as well. Hopefully you are not dosing any types of buffers without being able to guage the results. I would also test your saltmix, (brand?). If you have already done 2x25% water changes and that is the result, somethings amiss. Is it possible to take a sample to your tank water and newly mixed change water to the LFS and have them test. Alkalinity, Ca and Mg for both?

With your ph at 8.2, I would strongly suspect a high alkalinity.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-03-2004, 06:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

thanks the candy cane coral is at the top of the tank. the salt mix is marine enviroment. i did the water change to see if it helped. things were going wrong before the water change... ill get the rest tested and let you know thanks for your help..
Old 01-03-2004, 06:55 PM   #6
steve-s

Moving the coral down may help a fair amount (closer to the substrate) but I would still urge you get the tests done and while there, pick up one of each for home use. They are a real benefit when trying to keep corals healthy and water parameters in line...

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-13-2004, 09:34 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Your water changes are too drastic, I would only recommend up to a 10% water change. Wait a few days then do it again.
Why are you changing so much water? (2) 25% changes is alot. Are you aerating the newly mixed water for at least 1 hour in a separate container before you add to your tank?

Tags
coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com