Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-28-2004, 11:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Cannot keep fish at all

ok, well, its been a month since i had something kill my 2 clowns and 2 cardinals,,ive been wathing tank levels, did a water change, been scared to put in a fish,,,and i got one yesterday,and today,,pop -eye, now dead,,,,whats going on,,whats in my tank,,,all tests are fine, no ammonia, no nitrate, nitrite, and ph is 8.2-8.4................what are my options here, i have 400.00 invested in my rocks,,is this bacteria living in the rocks or what ?,,,,i have about 30 inverts living in harmony on my tank,,,nothing else is dying,,im really getting frustrated here

Old 08-28-2004, 11:51 PM   #2
steve-s

Re: Cannot keep fish at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingparsy
,i have about 30 inverts living in harmony on my tank,,,nothing else is dying,,im really getting frustrated here
Could be the store your getting the fish from (might try a new one) or possibley the way they are being acclimated to the tank. Preferabley you should be introducing fish to a properly cycled QT. When a new fish dies with undermined circumstances, it's best to leave the main tank fallow for a 4 week period if it wasn't QT'd first. I know it's a long stint but if the problem was parasitic, it will take that long to be rid of.

If fish are properly QT'd first, it spares the main tank of these issues completely.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-28-2004, 11:55 PM   #3

how do i fix the problem ,,im not even going to attempt to add anymore fish,,is there a treatment, or anything i can do, or is this going to lay dormant and attack when i put another fish in there???,,,,,even if i qt, as soon as i put the fish in,,,hell die
Old 08-28-2004, 11:56 PM   #4

i changed stored completely also, this is the first fish ive ever brought home from this other store whom ive been buying my live rock from all along, but no fish
Old 08-29-2004, 12:00 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Agree with SteveS. We have several LFS in our area. There are a couple of them I would not buy a damsel from. Very unhealthy from the start.
When you are considering a purchase, check the fish out good. Make sure there are no apparent parasites, injuries, etc. also make sure it is eating well and is not suffering from lateral line or nutritional deficiency. Also qt will keep you from introducing any parasite or other communicable diseases into you main.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:02 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingparsy
even if i qt, as soon as i put the fish in,,,hell die
Not so if you water parameter are good. The qt period would allow any parasites to die off with the lack of fish hosts.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:03 AM   #7

so its my technique, there is no parasite, or harmfull bacteria living in my tank waiting to snipe out my fish??....cause ive never had a problem till now, im still a beginner and still learning
Old 08-29-2004, 12:04 AM   #8

yeah , i figured thats what i was doing waiting a month or so untill i put a fish in there,,,,so how long should i wait this time?
Old 08-29-2004, 12:08 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Might not be your technique, some store just have bad livestock. Doubt if there are harmful bacteria. Check out another LFS and use qt and I'll bet things will improve.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:10 AM   #10

so a qt does not need to cycle??? just use, clean and put away?,,just get salt levels right and ph?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com