Cant keep a tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darron863

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
first things first my system has been up more than two years now and everything is fine ammonia, nitrates, nitrites,phos. all 0. ph 8.3, water temp. 79.1, and salinity 1.025. water changes done at 15 gal bi weekly. RO water checks out all at 0 also. I have been through 2 yellow, 1 kole, and now my sailfin is acting like he is going to die also. I have heard that tangs can get i think its called(lateral line disease) from a power head or any thing in a tank that is leaking voltage in small amounts into a tank. is there any truth to this or has any one else had this problem. I still have the maroon clown and the mandarin and the are as happy as ever. any ideas would be helpful.

There is truth to thatbut, are you feeding a nicely varied diet of nori (seaweed), veggies, and frozen foods? Soaking any of the foods in vitamins?

i feed alternate green and purple seaweed, frozen formula 1 amd mises shrimp every other day on the seaweed small piece, formula 1 and shrimp on sundays for everyone. eats fine at all feedings. then just stops eating all together and just sits in one spot for a day or two and dies. he just died, he ate good on sunday and didnt come out from behind the rocks yesterday or today and i just checked and he was dead.

how long do you have them before they die? How do you acclimate? Do you buy them from the same store?

I am thinking either poor acclimation or possibly cyanide caught fish?

drip acclimate for 2rs., have bought them from different stores with same result around the two mth. mark they all do the same thing fine one day then just hover in one spot for day or two and die. i have tried everything i can think of bought all new food checked for voltage with my fluke cant read any. have tried to find titanium ground but no one carries them any more i heard that tangs are really effected by stray current and none of my other fish are effected i have had my mandrin and clown for two years now with out any problem.

Do you use a ground probe? Also take some water to your LFS to verify your water test results. Something is not right.

i do not have a ground probe i was told to use a titanium probe if i was going to use one. whether or not this is true i dont know if it is true where can i get one. yes i have taken my ro and my tank water to two different lfs and all say my test kit is accurate. i am confused why is it just tangs?

Back
Top Bottom