Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-24-2014, 10:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Can't keep cleaner crew or corals. HELP..

I have had my 30 gall. bow front tank now going on 4 months now. I wrote to this forum asking for advice as i wasn't able to keep any of my clean-up crew or corals. Fish are just fine. 2 clowns, dart fish, golden Blenny and a few others. First it was mentioned it could be the lighting and so i went out and doubled the T5 H2O to 2 sets. Then it was said maybe the flow wasn't enough as i had to restrict the amount of return as the pump couldn't keep up. So i went to twice the strength of pump and then upsized my sump from 10 to 20 gall. Now the flow is excellent. I even added another 10 lbs of rubble rock. Then it was mentioned that i should add a third power head and so i did, upping the total to three. I even took the water sample to the LFS for testing and everything turned out fine.
I am also running a skimmer.
So at this point i figured that i could try some cleaners and corals. I use a drip method to introduce new livestock. I bought a cleaner shrimp and a emerald crab. One day after i put them in the tank they disappeared among the rocks and haven't been seen since. Presumed dead.
I also added a small leather coral that had it's tentacles flowing at the store. When i put them in my tank, within 40 minutes the tentacles had completely retracted. It is 5 days later, they never appeared again and i just removed it from the tank. Looks pretty dead.
So thats it. Sorry for the long post but now what. i have lost numerous corals and cleaners since day one and am running out of money. Please help. something is major wrong. But what?

2. Current lighting & Bulb Age: 4 bulbs T5HO
3. Nitrate: .25 ppm
4. Calcium: 480mg/l
5. Phosphate: .25 (this is new, there was none earlier)
6. Alkalinity: 65ppm
7. pH: 8.2
8. Salinity: .025
9. Temperature: 87
Copper is 0
10. Liquid or strip test kits: liquid.

12. Current amount of flow: not known.
13. Current tank dosing regimen: none

Old 05-24-2014, 11:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

87* is to high of a temp.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:59 PM   #3

temperature

What should i have it at?
Old 05-25-2014, 12:02 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

78-80 is best for a reef.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:34 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Yeah I agree, 87 is super high. I killed two acros once when my tank hit 84
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 12:38 AM   #6

Sorry, i made a mistake, the tank temperature is 78 degrees.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:56 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would have given the leather a few more weeks, they can look really really crappy and then one day bam they look awesome again. I have had this go on with my leathers for years at a time. For weeks they look dead and then they slough off their top layer and they look better than new. Unless it was a pile of decomposing mush i would have given him a better chance.

How long did you drip the shrimp? They are notorious for being difficult and long to acclimate cause they are really sensitive to ph, temp and salinity changes.
How about snails and hermits? Any luck with them?
Old 05-25-2014, 06:59 PM   #8

coral was dead

I gave the shrimp around an hour of drip and the coral really was dead. it was mushy on the top. must be something else.

Tags
clean, cleaner, coral, corals

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Is this ich | GHA »