Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-23-2006, 12:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

CAUTION TB OUTBREAK

Hi all,

It has come to my attention that more than a few people I am in aquaitance with have become infected with turburcolus from their saltwater fish. The infection starts out when you put your hand into your saltwater tank. If you have any abrasions on your hand you have a chance of contraction the disease since it caused by the bacteria called Mycobacterium tuberculosis. It looks like a rash on your hand and then slowly creeps up your arm. If you have any of the systoms you should see your doctor and suggest to him that you may have contracted TB from your fish tank.

Wear gloves!

Edited by Phyl: Fixed the color

Old 01-23-2006, 12:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Re: CAUTION TB OUTBREAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicsdragon
Hi all,

It has come to my attention that more than a few people I am in aquaitance with have become infected with turburcolus from their saltwater fish. The infection starts out when you put your hand into your saltwater tank. If you have any abrasions on your hand you have a chance of contraction the disease since it caused by the bacteria called Mycobacterium tuberculosis. It looks like a rash on your hand and then slowly creeps up your arm. If you have any of the systoms you should see your doctor and suggest to him that you may have contracted TB from your fish tank.

Wear gloves!
Fix the color of the first post please.

<<Check this out>> for more marine TB information. It can be contracted but is different from the form of TB we are used to hearing about.

Inverts - (2) Peppermint Shrimp, Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp, (5) Turbo Snails, (4) Nassarius Snails, (10) Blue Leg Hermits, Emerald Crab, (3) Scarlett Crabs, some small starfish(hitchhikers)

My Aquarium Photos
localhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 06:10 PM   #3
steve-s

Not sure where they got that info from, But I would "take it with a grain of salt". Marine TB is highly contageous and not easily cured...

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-23-2006, 11:35 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I have heard that before that reading that was very discomforting. I have gloves but don't use them enough!

Good link Steve.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:49 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Feron Send a message via Yahoo to Feron
geez, thanks for the potential nightmares lol
(and the heads up!)
Old 01-24-2006, 10:41 AM   #6

Curious

When did I say that marine TB was easily cured? And what about my information was wrong that you would say 'you don't know where I got it from?'
Old 01-24-2006, 11:11 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think steve was refering to the article I posted a link to, not your comments.
Inverts - (2) Peppermint Shrimp, Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp, (5) Turbo Snails, (4) Nassarius Snails, (10) Blue Leg Hermits, Emerald Crab, (3) Scarlett Crabs, some small starfish(hitchhikers)

My Aquarium Photos
localhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:15 AM   #8

AH-no I meant steves comments. sorry
Old 01-24-2006, 10:40 PM   #9
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by localhost
I think steve was refering to the article I posted a link to, not your comments.
He did

Cheers
Steve

Tags
outbreak

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com