Chocolate Chip Star fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CC Starfish are predators in the aquarium and are not Reef SAfe at all. It will eat whatever It can get on top of.. I would not suggest getting one without you knowing that the are Extremely not Reef Safe and you could loose every living slow inhabitant in your tank..

HTH,
James

Hi.. I have a chocolate chip star "Chip" He is the coolest creature in the tank. We did have two choc stars, but the other one "Cherry Chip" died a horrible mushy death, most likely because I didn't acclimate him properly. Steve S. gave me this wonderful website regarding the drip acclimation method.

[/url]http://www.rl180reef.com/pages/acclimation.htm#

Chip keeps the tank spotless. I've read that choc chip stars are not reef safe.

Good luck to you!

Natalie

I have a fish only tank...so I don't think he could be too harmful. I think they are pretty cute so as long as he won't hurt the fish...but how do I feed them?

Thanks for the websites I'll check them out!

I have a fish only tank also. Chip doesn't hurt any of my fish. IMO, the fish would have to be very sick for Chip to catch it. (I didn't name him "speedy" for a reason LOL).

I feed him brine shrimp, Formula 2(algae based food), squid (he'll eat anything). I bought a saltwater multipack that included squid. I was so excited to give my other fish something different. Chip and the royal gramma were the only ones that ate the squid. As soon as I put it in the water, his feelers went crazy!!! :)

I Just got a chocolate Chip Star fish 4 days ago. I also purchased 6 mexican Turbo Snails. When as of today, I only have 3 Turbo snails. The Star Fish is jumping on top of them ans sucking every bit of life from them. At this point I'm not sure if I want to keep the starfish. he is great to watch, but the Snails do a wonderful job of keeping the tank clean. P.S. Removing a dead snail, is the worst smelling thing, that I've ever had the displeasure of smelling, mush worse than having two kids.

I bought a chocolate chip starfish this weekend. My wife loved it and it was a great addition and a great conversation piece.

Problem is, now he's dead. Not sure what happened. Got home from work yesterday and he was on the bottom with one of his "legs" 1/2 off. I've got 1 yellow tang, 1 blue damsel, 1 yellow tailed damsel, 1 purple psuedochromis, 1 Clarkii Clown. I'm guessing one of these guys got ahold of him, but don't know how/why/which one.

Any thoughts? I really like him and would like to get another one, but if the same thing is going to happen again.......

I didn't know they would eat snails...I also have 3 very small hermit crabs that would probably go before the snails. As long as he gets fed I don't think he would harm anything from what I've read.
So I'm most likely going to go ahead with one this weekend when I have time to introduce him properly.

One question...I read about the drip acclimation but do I try to "place" him on the glass or what? I've very new at this and I don't want to harm him in any way.

when i got my chocolate chip star i tried placing him on the glass and he just fell 2 feet to the bottom. didn't hurt him at all though seeing as how i watched him fall from the top on his own a few times. i dont know if he does it on purpose as a fast way down or if he's just an idiot.

Limit the time "he" is exposed to air, meaning remove him from the bag and place him on the bottom of the tank as fast as possible. Stars are very sensitive to salinity changes and also oxygen/CO2 changes. GL

Back
Top Bottom