Chromis deaths in QT...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HappyHooligan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Could a PH of 8.8 be enough to kill blue/green Chromis?

This is the second school of these guys that I've had trouble with. I failed to measure PH after the first school died off. Now the second school has lost 2 of 3.

The QT has held a brown saddle clown in between schools with no problem. He was in for about 2 weeks before going to another home.

Amm., nitrites both 0, nitrates never >20. SG 1.025.

I had taken advice and used display tank water (ph 8.4) as water changes for the QT. I'm not sure I should have done that.

I'm stumped...

Yes, a fish could be killed by such a pH, but my question is how you are achieving that mark?

+1 for how did the pH rise from 8.4 to 8.8?
Don't use ST tank water for change water in QT. It's used water. You want pristine water in the QT which means fresh mixed and aged SW (aearated overnight or 24 hours).

is how you are achieving that mark?
Not sure what you mean exactly but...
I measure with an API liquid kit (just in case thats what you meant...lol)
I'm using a small HOB power filter, the cartridge had been in there for a few months. Today I removed the cartridge but left the bio- floss insert thing.
Also a sponge filter which has been running to about a month.
I'm also suspect of using display water for PWC's. I made sure it wasn't full of the usual bad stuff but perhaps the trace elements and buffers are used up.
I have new water mixed and aging for a PWC tomorrow.

We must have been typing at the same time cmor :)
That used PWC was bad advice, but kinda made sense at the time.

Back
Top Bottom