Chromis staying in one spot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wael El-Dasher

Aquarium Advice Activist
One of my Chromis doesn't seem to leave this one spot. It's been a few days now. Doesn't seem to leave that spot when I feed the fish. Any idea what would cause him to behave this way?

All the fish I have in the DT are not aggressive. I have:

Yellow tang
8 Chromis
Algae Blenny
Long nose hawkfish
3 clowns
Cleaner Wrasse
Zebra goby

It's very odd.

Attachments

• image-2872723665.jpg
    image-2872723665.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 126
How big is the tank?
Where all the chromis added at the same time, and were they the last addition?
How long between additions of fish to the tank?

Fish can take a week or longer to get comforatble with their surroundings.
New fish should be added at the rate of 1 - 2 per month to allow the bacterial population time to grow to handle the increased population.

8 chromis, what happen to the other ones, I thought you had a lot more.

The tank is 125 gallons. There are 8 Chromis in all. All the fish were pulled out of the DT and put into the QT for hypo. Once done about 3 weeks later, I added the blenny and hawkfish first, then zebra goby, then cleaner wrasse, then Chromis, then clowns and lastly yellow tang. The tank is established and for the first time my NO3 was less than 1 but not quite 0. No ammonia, no NO2.

Hypo takes 6 weeks if do it properly. Three weeks is no guarantee that Ich has been eradicated from the dt.

did you do hypo because of ich, or a preventative measure?

nxb161 said:
did you do hypo because of ich, or a preventative measure?

Yes, I placed all the fish in QT and performed hypo because they had signs of Ich. At the same time my LFS had received a new shipment of fish that also had some Ich so it was perfect timing. I had just spent 3 days catching the fish in my DT and just before I start the hypo the call came in from the LFS.

Chromis have a way of selection - in that the odd fish is castoff from the rest. This seems to happen as one becomes the dominant female I think, and the others fall in line. The odd fish out gets the short end and sometimes aren't allowed to hang out or eat with others. Maybe its just the natural selection process thats going on.

austinsdad said:
Chromis have a way of selection - in that the odd fish is castoff from the rest. This seems to happen as one becomes the dominant female I think, and the others fall in line. The odd fish out gets the short end and sometimes aren't allowed to hang out or eat with others. Maybe its just the natural selection process thats going on.

Thanks for that explanation, that clarified the situation very well. I hope this doesn't stress out the outcast Chromis :(

Back
Top Bottom