Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-13-2003, 12:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to brndfrb
Citrus Goby looking BAD

I have a citrus goby that is not looking to good. Lately he is very sluggish, and looks fuzzy almost. He is out of the 65 gal. show tank and into a qt. I also have a yellow tang in there that i am treating for ich. Hope he makes it. Anyways i am treating them with coppersafe. I want to make sure whateverit is DIES. Also i am sure my show tank is contaminated now. I can't leave it empty for 4 weeks. My qt tank is not bigg enough for the 5 fish that i have. I would have to do a water change every day. First can you tell me what you think is wrong with him. And secon is ther anything I can put in the show tank to make sure it wasn't contaminated that wont kill my live rock?

Old 09-13-2003, 03:58 PM   #2
steve-s

If you where already treating a fish for ich, it is most likely (but not 100%) that the goby will have this as well. In fact, the other fish in the main tank will also succumb eventually. If the goby has alot of "fuzzy" patchs, it may be a secondary infection braught on by the parasite and may need treating with a gram negative anti-biotic. I would wait a few days to see what affect the copper treatment has but if it does not show improvement, I would add the anti-biotic.

If the anti-biotic is needed, watch the NH3 and NO2 levels as the bio filter in the QT will also crash. Water changes will be your only recourse.

As far as the main tank is concerned, there is no effective treatment that can really be recommended to ensure the parasite is eliminated properly other than leaving it fallow for 4 weeks. The best option is still setting up additional housing and QT the other fish.

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-13-2003, 04:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I really cant afford another tank right now. Plus my wife will kill me. And the ten gallon isn't big enough. What the heck am i supposed to do
Old 09-13-2003, 04:16 PM   #4
steve-s

You do not need a tank for the purpose of QTing animals. Any sizable plastic/rubber tub will do with a heater and simple sponge filter. Rubbermaid storage totes are an easy, cheap alternative and can usually be purchased at your local HD. Just make sure they are an ample size.

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-13-2003, 05:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

thats a good idea. I never thought of that. Thanks Is a ten gallon to small for a yellow tang to be in for a qt tank? that is what he is in
Old 09-13-2003, 05:50 PM   #6
steve-s

As long as the tang is not showing any sign of stress, it should be okay. In future though I would suggest a 20 gal QT for larger fish to reduce the instances of stress due to size constraints. Also ensure there are enough places in the QT's for the fish to hide. Short pieces of PVC will work quite well.

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-15-2003, 06:06 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The goby didn't make it. he passed away this morning.

I really gonna miss that little guy. But the tang is showing much improvememnt
Thanks guys
Old 09-15-2003, 09:52 PM   #8
steve-s

Sorry for the loss on the goby. Glad to here the tang is doing well though!

Best of Luck!!
Cheers
Steve

Tags
goby

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com