Clam & crab problem, HELP!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfriends05

Aquarium Advice Regular
I came home last night to find one of my hermit crabs stuck in my crocea clam. Somehow he had crawled on top of the clam and in doing so irritated the clam so that it closed up. It didn't close all the way but far enough so that the hermit cannot get out. And since the crab just keeps irritating it trying to get out, the clam won't open up and let him out. Give it enough time and I'll possibly end up with a dead clam or hermit or both. If anybody has any suggestions on how get the clam open enough to get the hermit out I would greatly appreciate the info. TIA

Not sure, this might be a question for barry over on the clams direct forum. I personally might try to wedge something in to open the shell slightly to allow the hermit out, but that may be a bad idea.

wont the clam shoot it out like a bullet? i thought if there was some thing in there that the clam did not like he shot it out? but i dont have any clams so that might just be hear say.

Is the hermit actually inside the clam (inside the incurrent siphon) or did the clam just close up around the hermit and the hermit is wrapped in the mantle? Like RR said check the clam emergency forum over at http://www.clamsdirect.com I know I've seen posts there from others with a similar problem or Barry will help you out. HTH Good luck

inside the incurrent siphon) or did the clam just close up around the hermit and the hermit is wrapped in the mantle?
The hermit was not inside the siphon, it was just crawling around the mantle.
got pics?
I really wish I had taken some pics because it was actually quite funny looking. A little blue legged hermit trying and trying to get escape the the massive jaws of the killer shark....er clam I mean. :lol:

I finally got him out by carefully pulling the clam slightly apart (very slowly) with the tips of my fingers. (thats easier said then done, strong little buggers) Opened him up just barely enough for the hermit to get out. And the hermit didn't waste any time in getting out. The sad part of the story is that while the hermit was in there, he has damaged some of the mantle in his fruitless atempts to escape. :(
I just hope that the clam will be able to recover from this.

All tank owners should have cameras by their tanks. I know I've missed so many funny or interesting things in my tank just because I was watching instead of looking to share.

Hope your clam makes it.

Back
Top Bottom