clarkii clown issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stryder

Aquarium Advice Regular
I wonder if anyone has advice. One of my clowns is not eating and getting quite thin. He swims around a bit lathargically and is worrying me a lot :(

Is it the smaller of the two? If I remember correctly you just added these guys to the tank. Be sure there is no sign of illness, visual signs of distress and the aggression between the two is not part of the problem.

Was the clarkii eating when you first got it and has now quit?

Cheers
Steve

Is it the smaller of the two?
Yup.
Was the clarkii eating when you first got it and has now quit?
I think so... The other one ( the female i presume ) is big, strong, and healthy. I think the smaller male may, because they are close in size, be submitting to her and even naturally slightly trying to reduce in size while she gets bigger. Either that or he is sick and will kick it :? I'll keep an eye on him.

Thanks steve-s, your a noble advisor!

stryder said:
I think the smaller male may, because they are close in size,
This is rather dangerous when trying to mate clowns. It is best to get them at radically different sizes and the similar size they are now will be most of the problem. When introducing a second clown, you need to be sure the new one is at least ½ the size of the incumbant. This gives a greater chance the smaller will be male or still nueter and the larger female will not see the new addition as a threat to "her roost".

If the smaller clarkii does not eat soon then I would urge you to return him in the next few days and then wait a week or so before you attept this again. Be sure if you do, the new clown is much smaller than the original female...

Cheers
Steve

I've removed the smaller one and will bring "him" back to health over the next week before returning him. Thanks for the advice!! :D

Back
Top Bottom