cleaner shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seems as though synthetic sea salt is like beer - everyone has their favorite flavor!

Instant Ocean has been around forever - possibly the most popular synthetic sea salt on the market.

Agree with both comments! IO has it's detractors, but it's far from a "bad" salt mix. Regarding the iodine content, ANY commercially made salt mix is going to have the iodine you need. While I don't know what killed your shrimp, I can say for sure it wasn't for lack of iodine... unless this tank is a year old and has only had one water change!

Stuff happens. There's no one in this hobby that has had 100% success rate with all the living things they've bought.

Was it a big shrimp? If so, it could've just been near the end of it's life span. I'd read in another forum that the average life span of cleaner shrimps in our tanks is around 3 years. And like clockwork, that's when mine kicked the bucket!

Next time, assuming the difference between your salinity and the salinity in the bag is less than a couple points (.002), try a shorter acclimation period - like 30-45 minutes. Adjust the drip rate so that you double your water volume in the acclimation bucket twice during that 30-45 minute time period. After you double the water volume the first time, take out half the water. After the 2nd doubling of water, take out most the water and then just scoop the little guy up in your hand and put him in your tank. (Taking out most the water will help you scoop him up). I try not to use nets with anything to avoid any possible injury.

Agree with both comments! IO has it's detractors, but it's far from a "bad" salt mix. Regarding the iodine content, ANY commercially made salt mix is going to have the iodine you need. While I don't know what killed your shrimp, I can say for sure it wasn't for lack of iodine... unless this tank is a year old and has only had one water change!

Stuff happens. There's no one in this hobby that has had 100% success rate with all the living things they've bought.

Was it a big shrimp? If so, it could've just been near the end of it's life span. I'd read in another forum that the average life span of cleaner shrimps in our tanks is around 3 years. And like clockwork, that's when mine kicked the bucket!

Next time, assuming the difference between your salinity and the salinity in the bag is less than a couple points (.002), try a shorter acclimation period - like 30-45 minutes. Adjust the drip rate so that you double your water volume in the acclimation bucket twice during that 30-45 minute time period. After you double the water volume the first time, take out half the water. After the 2nd doubling of water, take out most the water and then just scoop the little guy up in your hand and put him in your tank. (Taking out most the water will help you scoop him up). I try not to use nets with anything to avoid any possible injury.

And when it comes to these little guys, they dont hurt a fly so picking them up is fine. Every time I put my hand in the tank one of mine jumps onto it and tries to do his job, its funny.

Back
Top Bottom