cleaner shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sakska02

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My cleaner shrimp just died. Trying to figure out why it did. Ive only had it for 3 days. Acclimated it through drip acclimation for 2 hours when i got it. I then let it in the tank. It was very active sunday and yesterday but today it kind of just stood in the same spot most of the day. I just recently found it on its back dead. I removed it from the tank and took a look at it. Looked normal. No clue why it died. Ammonia 0 Nitrites 0 Nitrates 10 Salt 1.023. Any ideas?

What other inhabitants do you have in the tank? Also, how big is your tank? Give us more details about the tank so we can better diagnose the situation.

14 gallons. I have a nassarius snail and 3 nerite snails. 1 hermit crab.

temperature stays between 78-80. I have a biocube and use the stock filtration. I have a koralia nano power head, 11 lbs live rock,16lbs live sand

Well, since all of your water parameters seem to be in check, i would have to say its a lack of iodine. Depending on what you have in the tank, like live rock and other beneficial supplements, if there was a shortage, or NO iodine then it would have died because it couldnt molt. These shrimps molt their skin, and in order to molt, they need iodine. So if you dont have things that automatically provide iodine like live rock etc.. then thats how it died. This "could" have been what caused its death. Anyone think it could be anything else??

Also, look around the tank pretty thoroughly because theres a possibility that its still alive, and what you say was its shell, in the event that it was able to molt. I know its only a 14G, but as soon as they molt they look for places to hide so they can let the now soft shell harden. So check any caves or crevasse that it may be hiding in.

He was on his back when i found him. Maybe tried to molt and couldnt.

Several things...

As linksyz mentioned, keep an eye peeled for him - you may have just found his molt and he's just in hiding for a couple days. I've found that shrimp often molt right after I bring them home. Molts look incredibly like the real thing. Can't tell you how many times I've thought mine has died... and it didn't. Then again... my cleaner of 3 years just DID die, and it took me several days to believe that the "body" I pulled out wasn't a molt!

If it did die, I'd put more money on the long acclimation time possibly being an issue. 2 hours for acclimation for anything is a really long time. Depending on water parameters and how long the critter has been bagged, I shoot for an acclimation period of 30-60 minutes... 60 minutes at the longest.

If you're doing normal water changes, I wouldn't suspect a shortage of iodine. Yeah... they need iodine to molt, but just about any salt mix will give you the required amount to keep healthy animals. Don't go adding iodine (or anything else for that matter) just because the bottle says your inverts need it.

Yeah Kurt, about the iodine thing, i wasnt really sure, but i was just throwing it out there, because 1. i dont know what kind of salt mix he/she is using, and 2. because i know that shrimp die when they cant molt from the lack of iodine. So meh, just passing along some knowledge. :)

My shrimp molted about 2 days after I got him and scared me to death. I saw a fully intact shell (even had color) and was wondering why he wasn't as active as he walked out from behind the rock. :)

Its true, both my shrimp molted a couple of days after I got them and freaked out because their shells seem like its the shrimp itself. I have no idea why this guy would have died though. If your params are all ok then I wouldnt know what to say! Sorry and good luck!

When i took him out im about 90% sure it wasnt a molt. It had eyes and didnt look at all hollow. I will wait a couple days and see if he shows but being that idt there is many places he could hide really well i doubt he will show up. By the way im using instant ocean salt. It have enough iodine? And i was thinking of trying another cleaner shrimp if mine never shows. Any suggestions to possibly make sure he doesn't pass? Especially in acclimation.

Instant Ocean in my opinion is not a very good brand lol. I havent really heard much about that, and from the one person who did use it, said it wasnt that good. Next time you go for the salt mix, look for Oceanic. Its not expensive at all, and its a really great brand of salt mix. As for the shrimp, i would wait a few days like you said, and if he doesnt show.. well then sorry :/

Well actually i heard that the IO salt mix was bad, but the reef crystals mix that they made was good. I've yet to hear good things about IO around here, but i guess your the first! Well at least for me that is lol.

Ive used Io for 7months on my reef with a peppermint, Coral banded, and Cleaner shrimp all fine. The Coral banded has shed atleast twice and hasnt had issues. Peppermint has grown so must of shed at night...

Well cool, im glad the IO works for you guys. Never tried it so i wouldnt know. All i was saying was what i heard from two people. :/

Seems as though synthetic sea salt is like beer - everyone has their favorite flavor!

Instant Ocean has been around forever - possibly the most popular synthetic sea salt on the market.

Back
Top Bottom