Cleaner Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cls8s

Aquarium Advice Activist
I had another thread but I'm afraid no one would see it and try to help. Here is the old thread but I will give you a quick recap.

HTML:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/immoral-157647.html

Okay, so I had one cleaner shrimp that lasted 8 hours. I explained what had happened to the LFS and they tested my water, said it was perfect and replaced it, that was today. New cleaner shrimp lasted about 8 hours, dead in the bottom, I tried feeding it off my finger and it took the food but dropped it after picking at it. My water is 1.024 salt, 0 ammonia, 0 trite, 5 trate, 79F, pH 8.5 or so.

I acclimated it just as told: float for 25 min or so, slowly put in some of my water, wait, more water, wait, more water, wait. Didn't help. I haven't check copper but I've never used any meds at all. My crabs seem to be fine as well as all other fishies. What's going on and what am I doing wrong?

newbie here but here it goes.

you should drip method at least 2 hours for inverts. Your trates are low but I always heard for inverts it should be 0 or near 0. LFS and others told me 20 nitrates was okay but eh, if youre looking for a problem then i'll suggest that one

Trying my third and final one today................

I've never really acclimated anything.... Lol. The only thing I've done was put the bag in the water so that they would be the same temp, but that's it. I just drop them in. Of course though, I'm going to drip acclimate my next fishes because now I now.

To acclimate, test the pH from the bag of store water, test your tank pH, set the drip to drip a few drops a second. It should take an hour or two if the pH is not off by that much, but longer if it is way off from yours. Test the pH after an hour, how does it match up? When my pHs are the same, I add the livestock. After the water gets double, dump half out (at no time does any of this water go in your tank). Then do that again and again as needed until the pH's are the same. Has worked great for me.

My guess to your invert deaths is pH shock. Your pH is a little high to begin with. Try to be 8.1-8.4. While your shrimp is floating in the bag, the oxygen in the bag is depleting, ammonia rises, pH decreases. I don't think it would be enough time to drop it dramatically. But let's say your LFS has their pH at 8.2-8.3. By the time your shrimp makes it into the tank the pH couldve dropped to 8.1-8.2ish. And yours is at 8.5. That's a pretty big difference. Lower your pH first to 8.3ish and after that try another one. Then if that one dies, I was wrong.

Well I already put one in the tank. I did it over 2.5 hrs using a syringe to slowly put water into the bag. It's hanging out on the filter intake now.

I'm assuming he's eating on the filter intake?! He's not stuck, I cut the filter power for a second to make sure.

Could be he's eating. He could also just be acclimating to the new scenary. He may also be trying to molt.

Well it was scaring me so I made him move to the bottom. Lol

I just got one last Sunday, he tends to hide in some rockwork mostly for now. Hopefully the other fish will warm up to him soon.

i had a cleaner shrimp that lasted 30 minutes. i drip acclimated it and well as soon as i put it in my system my nasarius and crabs swarmed it and started eating it. took it back to find out it had shed it molted a few days before and the exosekeleton hadn't grown back yet, so the shock from transportation killed it. my LFS gave me a new one and him and the peppermint shrimp i got that day are alive still been 3 month and going extremely strong

Drip acclimate in the future. I just use an old bucket that I've cleaned thoroughly and use a piece of tubing with a hooked end (it's really just a tiny siphon that can be controlled to only 3-4 drips per second). Just hook up the siphon to your tank dripping water into the bucket at no more than 5 drips per second along with the shrimp + contents of the bag in the bucket with it.

Once the volume of water has doubled empty half of it out and repeat this ~3 times to ensure they are acclimated properly. I've done this and have yet to experience a single loss due to shock.

I didn't have any tubing to create a siphon so I used a syringe, putting in 5 mL every 15 min to the bag. This one looks weak but has survived 10hrs longer than the other two did.

you should really stop getting shrimp if they end up dying. something is clearly wrong with something youre doing so you should fix it first instead of simply testing your water on them. just my thoughts..

you should really stop getting shrimp if they end up dying. something is clearly wrong with something youre doing so you should fix it first instead of simply testing your water on them. just my thoughts..

I'll get 45 and throw in a 1 gallon goldfish bowl full of cyanide, if I so please. I'm not testing my water on them, I apparently can't acclimate them even when I follow the proper procedures.

Maybe should be offering suggestions on how to help rather than telling people the obvious "something is clearly wrong with something youre doing so you should fix it". "just my thoughts.."[sic]

It might be the PH, if not did you get that tank used??? Cause the only thing I know that can knock out a invert is copper.
I've always just temp acclimate them and just threw them in( do not follow that statement lol)

Back
Top Bottom