cleaner shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewFishy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've noticed the last week my shrimp was missing and then found him the next day hiding under a rock...now he's finally come out and he's lost his whiskers ( that's the only thing I can thing close of calling them)

ForumRunner_20120301_215441.jpg

ForumRunner_20120301_215625.jpg

ForumRunner_20120301_215728.jpg

Anyone have any ideas one wats goin on or if he's alright??

Unless you've got an extremely aggressive fish, an aggressive crustacean (coral banded shrimp, some crabs), my guess would be he had a slight mishap when moulting. Most likely, they'll grow back. I've seen shrimp and crawdads regrow entire limbs over the course of a couple moults.

I bought a peppermint shrimp that happened to be pregnant and lots of eggs.. I don't see her with eggs anymore and she's a lot smaller the the peppermint shrimp

I'm going to stick with my initial guess that it was just a moulting error. He should be fine, and they should grow back.

Possibly your tangs getting pissed off with his cleaning technique :) a cleaner shrimp is a shrimp at the end of the day, I've had a cleaner for ages doing fine got a powder brown and the same happened to my cleaner but must admit I never saw the tang actually do it, but I also have witnessed other non aggressive fish going for them and killing them, maybe put him in the refugium untill they grow back

Back
Top Bottom