cleaner shrimp has black spots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquagirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Please Help! One of our cleaner shrimps has developed black spots on various parts of his body. I've read that they could be parasites. We introduced a Long Tenticle Anemone into our tank and noticed these spots on our shrimp about a week later. Could they be from the LTA? Does anyone have knowledge regarding this problem?

Do you have a picture of the spots or can you describe better where on the shrimp the spots are seen?

What type of cleaner do you have and how long has the shrimp been in the tank?

Most likely what you are observing is your shrimp carrying a cluster of eggs on its pleopods.

The spots are in small clusters along both sides and top and are all located on the carpace (front end?) The shrimp is a scarlet that we've had aprox. 3 weeks. The same day we noticed the spots, we noticed that the inside of her abdominal area was light green, different than before. She was hanging upside down, beneath a rock, and seemed to be "picking" the green out with her feet. We thought they might be eggs but we're not sure.

Well, fertilized eggs are green in coloration and the shrimp will appear to tend to them at times. Scarlet cleaners do have the ability to store sperm and produce viable eggs for several cycles after being separated from a mate.

However, spots on top would not fit with this thought. Do you have a picture?

Has your shrimp moulted since being in your tank?

Interesting!

I have not been able to get a good close-up photo yet but I'll keep trying.

No, our cleaner has not molted yet since joining our tank. Our first cleaner molts like crazy!

Thanks for helping Reef Dr....I appreciate it!

I have never heard of a shrimp carrying a parasite. A photo would be great. Could be an injury that may dissapear with a molt. It she eating OK, active?

Would be a contradiction, a cleaner shrimp with parasites!

She has a hearty appetite and is very active.

I was finally able to get some good close-up photos this morning. Please take a look and tell me what you think. Is it possible that our Long Tenticle Anemone stung her? Both of our cleaners are always pestering our anemone!

I'm not sure how to post photos on this page so I've added them to "my gallery" for you to view! Thanks!

Looks like a physical injury to me. I would just wait and watch. Looks fat and healthy otherwise. :)

Glad to say our cleaner is fine! She molted for the first time since we added her to our tank, and the black spots disappeared! Her new shell looks fine! Whew!!

Happy again!
Aquagirl

Back
Top Bottom