Cleaner Shrimps keep dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gregp

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've bought two cleaners this week and both were dead within 30 mins. My nitrites, ammonia, etc all at or near 0. 1.024 salinity @ 77 degrees. Anyone know or have this kind of problem? I currently have a chocolate tang, (2) scooter blennies.

What is your acclimation procedure? Inverts are sensative to proper acclimation.

EDIT- One second too late. sorry for the same info grimlock

Are any of your snails, crabs or other shrimps die?
If you bought your previous shrimps from the same LFS, I would try a different LFS.

What's your acclimation procedures for the shrimps?

Look at this, what a kick butt crew!! :wink:
With the speed of the deaths, as you can see this is usually the problem.

Geez,

Thanks for all the replies so quick! I do have a few emerald crabs also that I bought and have been healthy for a month now. I did the usual, placed the bag in the aquarium for about half hour and then dropped them in. Also, no I have not used any copper based meds.

Wow, that's to quick. A slow drip method is best for inverts.

Drip method would be to place the shrimps in a bucket and using airline tubing (with a knot tied in it) to slowly drip into the bucket for several hours. You could also hang the bag on the tank and use a syringe to add water every few minutes for a couple hours.

I did the usual, placed the bag in the aquarium for about half hour and then dropped them in.

Shrimp are very senstive and quickly dumping them in the aquarium like this will usually cause them to die as you have found out. The Shrimp can not adjust to the new water conditions and the quick shock of going right from the bag to the tank can cause them to go into shock and die.

The method you used it really not good anything from fish to inverts to corals. Try going here for some pointers:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general.cfm?general_pagesid=19&ref=3319&subref=AI

Thanks for the reply. It would be nice if the folks at the LFS would point stuff like this out to us newbies. I've been reading up for monthes, but had no clue that shrimp were that sensitive. Now I'm out 26 bucks, but I guess that's small potatoes to what we've spent up to this point.

Back
Top Bottom