Cleaning up after vacation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leahdanilalton

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
As I posted on a previous thread I came home from a two week vacation to find my tank in a disasterous mode. The tank had sprung a leak and no one had topped off the water so the water level was dangerously low, two of my fish had died and we now have ich.

I got a new tank and after transferring all the other critters into the new tank plus my substrate and LR, I made sure my QT tank was up to snub and started ich treatment. This is what I'm doing....

My QT is a 10 gallon standard. I have a biowheel running and a small heater. I am treating with Hyposalinity at which I gradually took the fish down from 1.026 to 1.010. I am also throwing in some RID ICH. Although I have heard from many people it doesn't work I figured that it couldn't hurt to try as long as I am doing the hyposalinity also. The tanks heat is at about an average 76 beacause I read somewhere that although raising the temp speeds up the life cycle of the parasite it also speeds up the metabolic rate of the fish which negates the purpose of the hyposalinity since it is supposed to lower the stress level in the fish. I am also doing a 1 gallon water change twice a day.

So far my fish are still alive. I have one clown that lays at the bottom all day until feeding time he doesn't move around much but hes still breathing and still swimming when hes fed so I figure if he hasn't given up than neither will I. I have another clown that is swimming but looks like hes trying to swim up the side of a rock I have in the tank. He looks like he just can't make it but when I feed them he swims right to the top with no problem. I also have a coral beauty angel who seems to hang out in the same spot behind a rock all day. Shes looking better than she was the first day but I'm not getting my hopes up yet that she will survive. My last fish is a fiji devil who has still not shown any signs of ich so far and he seems to be doing alright...so far.

If anyone sees that I'm not doing something right please...I'm open for suggestions. I'm still new to this and would like all the help I can get.

Thanks

Personally I feel 76 is to cold for a SW tank. Slowly bump up the temp till its 80-82 over the next few days. Faster metabolisum means the fish can also fight parasite better. Not stressful at all.

You can also try to soak the food in garlic and see if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom