Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-19-2005, 08:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

cloudy film/mucus from lion fish..HELP please.

There is this cloudy almost clear film floating around in the tank. I am not sure what it is. There is a large Volitan Lionfish and a small picasso trigger. i have never noticed it before but some of the pieces are quite large. I have been trying to find out what it is. i was reading about mucus the fish produce when they have ich..do they shed it? It is quite disconcerting. Could it be the lionfishes feces..becasue I never noticed it before.

Hope somebody can help

Cheers

Old 10-19-2005, 09:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

are you talking at the surface of the tank or in the water. if it at the surface it no big deal just build up of organics, most tanks get it unless you have something skimming water off the top or powerheads breaking the surface.

Old 10-19-2005, 09:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well, imo any buildup of organics on the surface of an aquarium is not good. It inhibits proper gas transfers, if it is on the surface I would find out why, and fix that problem.

I had a Lionfish once that would deficate an almost clear substance when fed certain feeder fish. Don't know if this helps you, If it is floating around the aquarium I would remove it carefully with a net.

You don't have any Soft Corals in your aquarium do you?
Old 10-19-2005, 10:52 PM   #4

No. This film is floating around in the tank freely( all around inside)Pardon the crudeness but it looks like snot in water. This is why I thought the fish might be shedding some Mucus. It also might be feces since I never seen the lion relieve itself but I am not sure, i have never seen it before. The trigger was rubbing against a rock a few days ago but I have been watching carefully and he has stopped so I dont think there is Ich..I am at a loss.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Brodie
Do you have any corals? If so, it's more than likely a coral that has shed its slime coat.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:02 AM   #6

Nope. All i have in the tank is a lionfish and a trigger.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:26 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

My lion did start letting off a slime into the tank he had just finished a ich treatment and was suffering from a bacterial infection, he did it for a couple day before he died,he was also not eating well for a week or 2 before,hope im not scaring you into thinking your lion is gonna die,i dont think it means that at all i would guess stress is the trigger bothering him or mabey check all your water parameters,amonia,nitrate,salinity,temp and whatever else you can think of
Old 10-20-2005, 02:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by i have crabs
My lion did start letting off a slime into the tank he had just finished a ich treatment and was suffering from a bacterial infection, he did it for a couple day before he died,he was also not eating well for a week or 2 before,hope im not scaring you into thinking your lion is gonna die,i dont think it means that at all i would guess stress is the trigger bothering him or mabey check all your water parameters,amonia,nitrate,salinity,temp and whatever else you can think of
Okay, this might be coming together now. This is my second lion. I sold my 9 inch 2 months ago adn then a week ago I bought another 8 inch. When he was put into the tank he was fine, then all of a sudden he is letting of this slime. The trigger was rubbing against the rocks for a day of so but has stopped. Perhaps its becasue of the Ich. Does anybody know if this slime is a reaction caused by the Ich?

Thanks I have Crabs, We are getting close.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:20 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

((I'm going to update the thread title and move this to the Sick Fish forum to try and get you some help))
Old 10-20-2005, 11:29 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

bradmc if you can see any spots(ich) look closley for small white spots on the body,fins,even on the eyes,you should start treatment sooner the better the first time i got ich it was in my main tank,i tried paraguard and feeding with garlic for about 2 weeks wich didnt seem to help one bit and i think i overdosed it and killed my flame angle and a small puffer,so i bought a refractometer and did the hypo salinity but since it was a 130g tank it took quite a while to get the salt down low enough and i also think adding alot of fresh water was making the ph and other parameters fluctuate alot, once it got down to 1.090 the ich cleared up quite fast and i also had huge amonia rise followed by nitrite/nitrate so i had to keep doing big water changes to deal with that,while the ich was almost cleared up big time problems with bacterial infections occured and i lost a few more fish i helped that problem with fedding alot of zoe and other vitimin additives so in the end all that lived was a snowflake eel,yellow tang and a domino damsil and both fish ended up with head and lateral line erosin problems and are now an a high vitamin c diet and doing well.
sorry for the long post.
i sold the 130g and bought 2 67g and use one for a qt tank i got a couple new fish and added them in with the tang and damsil (long after the last ordeal) and ended up with ich again, i cought it a lot sooner this time and went and got some cupramine copper added it for 3 weeks and it cleared up right away and no side effects that i seen no stress compared to the hypo,i did have to do a couple water changes but the tank cycled quite fast compared to before.
just remember no inverts can ever go into the tank after coppering it to look into your future before making any decisions if your forced to.

Tags
cloud, cloudy, film, lion fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com