Clown Commits Suicide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmonicarl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I get home last night and can't find my clown in the tank anywhere. I look behind every rock and he is nowhere to be found. He has the tank all to himself with live rock and some soft corals. I did a water change three days ago and the LFS said the PH was a little low so I added I little bit and everything was fine until last night when I got home. After looking all over the tank I decided he just wasn't in the tank. I looked around the floor surrounding the tank and found him stiff on the the floor. I had this guy for almost two years same as the tank. Do these guys jump out of the tank? Usually he stays one side of the tank and he is peaceful. Any Ideas. Thanks for the help. 20 gal. Tank, LFS tested water on Monday (3) days ago and the only thing was the PH was a little low.

2 year old tank and no test kit? IME carpet surfing is usually due to a water quality issue or aggression. So your params and other fish in the tank would help, any recent changes?

No changes at all, in fact he didn't even look sick or any different then any other time.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do you have a cat or any other animals that might have spooked him? Or anything else in the tank that could have?

It isn't too uncommon for a fish to get spooked and accidentally jump out :/

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would start by checking for stray voltage in your tank. Bulk reef supply sells a clear plastic mesh that fits in a window screen frame keep fish from carpet surfing. Good luck!

@Angela1108, you might right I have a cat and sometimes she walks around underneath the tank stands maybe she got curious and spooked the fish although she has never been interested in the fish before, but pet's do weird things when they are not being watched. Thanks and when I get another clown the cover is going back on. I will be visiting my friends here in Miami that raise all types of clown fish in their home to get a new pair soon. It's amazing to go there and see their setup in the backyard.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Still sad :(

I've luckily never had one jump out but I've seen them go pretty close to the surface when spooked

Back
Top Bottom