Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-12-2004, 09:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Location: From the Chicago Burbs, stationed in Okinawa, Japan
Clown Died

I bought a pair of clowns 7 days ago. They seemed very happy, but they just didn't want to eat. I tried all different types of frozen foods, live foods, flakes, and pellets. I even tried the same food the store has. These guys just didn't want to eat. I wake up this morning, and the smallest of the pair is being eaten by my coral banded shrimp. I think the bigger one is getting ready to go, too. My water parameters are good, and I did a water change 2 days ago. The pair were caught in the wild. They weren't tank bred. I'm stationed in Japan, and where I'm at they don't sell tank-bred clowns. I wish they would, since they are more hardy.

Old 12-12-2004, 09:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Did you see them eat at the store?

29-gal: PCs,LR,LS,Skimmer,Fish,Soft corals (Born 9-04)
No_Floaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 09:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry for your loss. Are these cyanide caught fish? Did you have the fish store feed the fish so you can see them eat before purchasing them? Good luck with your remaining clown. I hope he comes around for you.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:33 PM   #4

No. That's a mistake I'll never make again. I did use the same food, that they said they feed them, plus the tons of other different foods. Nothing seems to work. I tested for ammonia, nitrates, nitrites for 2 days. All at 0. I don't think it's the water, because all my inverts, are all happy. I acclimated the fish using the drip method. They were very active, and swimming around together all over the tank, until the 7th day. I guess I won't be able to keep clowns.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

It's not that you want be able to keep them . Just make sure that the LFS guy feeds any fish you intend to buy while you watch...be it a clown, angel, butterfly, whatever. Fish can live for a couple of weeks after being poisoned & caught. Their digestive system is tore up & they starve. I'm not saying these fish were caught with poison, but it still happens.

29-gal: PCs,LR,LS,Skimmer,Fish,Soft corals (Born 9-04)
No_Floaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 09:53 PM   #6

I'm stationed currently at Okinawa, Japan. This island is full of beautiful reefs. I think the store I buy from gets most of their fish from the reefs here. The store has a pretty good reputation, being one of the only stores, that sell SW fish. I'll make sure I watch the fish eat though, before I buy. Thanks guys.

Tags
clown, die, died

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com