Clown died very quickly...did it choke?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AR15 guy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Earlier today my clownfish were both fine. Today I was talking on the phone and fed my fish. There were some pretty big flakes in there also. Well I got off the phone and looked. I notice my oldest O. clown was lieing on the bottom gasping. He was getting pale. No ick spots or rotting but color was fading. I quickly got him into a bag and allowed him to float in it. He died soon after.

He literally went from being fine to dieing in 20 minutes. Did he eat a large flake and choke? Its all I can figure. Everybody else in the tank is fine. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate, 8.2 ph, 1.024 sg. I have made no changes of anykind in this tank in weeks.

I had something very similar happen to 2 clowns. I believe it may have been Brooklynella ( clownfish disease) It can kill quickly and causes the color to fade rapidly. Google it nad see what you think.

Sorry for the loss.

JG

That will not affect other fish besides clowns will it?

Everybody else appears to be good. So I will just have to give it a few weeks and see what happens. Then I may replace him...well her.

He has been eating great. He was actually the oldest fish in the tank. Its been in the tank for around 2 months. It always eats great. Prior to that feeding he was up at the top swimming begging for food like normal. Then literally 20 min later he was on the bottom dieing. I still think he must have tried to eat a large piece of flake. Because there was some large pieces.

I just read that site...that doesn't sound like what mine had.

Only thing it ever did that even looked suspicious was that she swam with her fins down alot when in the current. But it has done that since day one.

ahhh now the other clown and my gramma have ICK! I just went out and bought a 10 gallon and setup a QT tank. I hope they make it. Firefish is the only one that hasnt died or got sick....

What was the last fish added and how long ago?

Cheers
Steve

Gramma was the last fish to be added. Approx. 2 weeks ago.

Good news is that the ick seems to be gone already. I am going to leave them in QT a few more days and keep treating. The firefish is fine. But he is freaked out because I had to move everything in the tank around to catch the gramma.

I am going to QT new guys for now on.

Well I QT's the gramma and the other clown. Got rid of the ick...added them gramma and clown back to the main tank and noticed the gramma was pale...he died.

This is getting annoying. The other clown and the firefish seem to be fine. If the clown died I may end up moving the firefish to the 10 and just making my 38 brackish for my puffer and some monos.

6 days is not nearly long enough to QT and treat a fish with a parasite.

What treatment did you use and how did you acclimate them back the main tank? What where the water parameters of each tank?

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom