Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-27-2012, 01:06 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by HovaRockz View Post
Well mines is the size of a quarter I will be setting a trap soon for him so I can catch him and put him in his new home which will be in my sump
This one is somewhere between a dime and a nickel, I'd say. I don't know if he's an emerald or not, but the body shape looked about the same, if not the color. I'd be interested to know how to build a trap for him, and if your works. Thanks!

Old 11-27-2012, 01:08 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

What color is yours?

Old 11-27-2012, 02:55 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I keep four emeralds in my reef with tiny gobies, mandarin dragonet, shrimps, snails, etc. and haven't had any problems. Mine don't pick my corals either. Some are fine, some are not. They definitely will scavenge a carcass for sure. Crabs are opportunistic feeders and will hunt more when they dont find enough to eat.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:15 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry about your clown. If your tank has only been up a little over a week, it's likely not cycled yet and the clown succumbed to ammonia or nitrite poisoning and then the CUC did its job. What did you use for an ammonia source for the cycle? What were your ammo, nitrite and nitrate levels before adding the clown?
Old 11-27-2012, 10:29 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HovaRockz View Post
What color is yours?
Mine is actually tan-beige, like the color of sand or the inside of the live rock (the actual rock color, not the stuff that grows on it), but the body shape is like the pictures of emeralds I've seen. The other crab is even smaller, sort of orange and white, and a little spiny-looking, not smooth like the larger crab.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithhjs View Post
I keep four emeralds in my reef with tiny gobies, mandarin dragonet, shrimps, snails, etc. and haven't had any problems. Mine don't pick my corals either. Some are fine, some are not. They definitely will scavenge a carcass for sure. Crabs are opportunistic feeders and will hunt more when they dont find enough to eat.
I hear the mandarins are difficult to maintain because of their diet. Are you having success? How do you get them to eat? I really like the look of them, but as I'm not yet having success even keeping a clown alive, I promise to wait on that for a good while. Meanwhile, I guess I'm glad to know that my "clean-up crew" does a good job, I just hope they're not actually killing the fish. The Clown was the only fish introduced to the tank, so was a prime target. So how do you know when it's time to add fish? The water tested fine on all levels, and I didn't even have much of a die-off when I put the live rock in during tank set-up.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

You want to have a good strong cycle with ammonia reaching at least 4ppm, so that when you add an actual fish, there won't be a mini cycle. So not having a lot of die-off isn't actually working in your favor. That means you probably didn't have a very high ammonia spike, which means not that many BB grew. At the end of a good strong cycle, the nitrates are usually quite high and a PWC is required prior to adding fish. So if LFS said you had no nitrates, then you didn't have a cycle at all.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:35 PM   #18

Thanks to all that commented and gave advice; I learned some good stuff! However, the good news is, Emmett has re-surfaced! He actually DID leap the barrier into the filter area and had somehow got himself under the bottom grid that allowed for water flow under the bio-balls. I did not see him under there when I removed all the filter materials. Since I don't use the bio-balls, this grid is unnecessary, so after fishing him out (so to speak), I put the grid over the TOP of the area to prevent a recurrence. Meanwhile, Emmett is back in the main tank part and actually seems more relaxed than he did before he took his adventure. I'm glad to see that he wasn't killed by the water quality or the crabs.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beengirl View Post
You want to have a good strong cycle with ammonia reaching at least 4ppm, so that when you add an actual fish, there won't be a mini cycle. So not having a lot of die-off isn't actually working in your favor. That means you probably didn't have a very high ammonia spike, which means not that many BB grew. At the end of a good strong cycle, the nitrates are usually quite high and a PWC is required prior to adding fish. So if LFS said you had no nitrates, then you didn't have a cycle at all.
Thanks so much for all the good information! I probably mis-spoke when I said there was "nothing" in the water; I think I meant that the associate at the LFS said there was nothing harmful about the water and that it looked ideal for introducing fish at that point. All levels were where they were supposed to be. As it turns out, the water DIDN'T kill Emmett. He actually had gotten himself under a grid in one of the filter compartments in the back of the bio-cube. Got him out today and he's fit as a fiddle and seems more relaxed than when I first put him in the tank, a good sign I hope. I've blocked access to the filter area now so there won't be a recurrence of that adventure. But thank you for explaining the cycling more fully to me. As a newbie to saltwater, I need all the help I can get!
Old 11-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lol he must have watched the movie "nemo"

Tags
clown, mystery

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com