Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-26-2012, 10:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Clown Disappearance a Mystery!

Hey! I've recently set up my first saltwater tank (a little over a week ago), a 29gallon with about 35 lbs. live rock + live sand. Everything tested perfect for introducing an Ocellarius (sp?) Clownfish yesterday. After doing a 1 hr. long "measuring cup" acclimation, I put him in the tank. He was a bit erratic, wiggling quite a bit, but eventually he slowed down a little and started exploring the tank. However, he liked to hang out in an upper corner by the thermometer (tank is at 80 degrees). I fed him New Life Spectum Pellet Marine Food, but crushed it up a little as he was having trouble dealing with the pellet size, but seemed to go for the crushed bits just fine. He was doing fine this morning, too. Since I started to have an outbreak of diatoms, I put a Fluval Clearmax filter bag in the back filter area (biocube w/out the bio-balls) and left the light off, hoping to stem their growth. When I got home tonight, Emmet was gone! And I mean GONE. No dead body, no body parts, nothing in the filter areas, nothing in or around the rocks. NOTHING. I know there's a smallish hermit crab in there, two snails, and at least 2 other small crabs (the fish was much bigger than them). If there's anything else in there, it hasn't made an appearance. He couldn't have jumped out because the tank is entirely covered, which also precludes the cat getting him. Any thoughts on his mysterious disappearance? Calling Jessica Fletcher!!

Old 11-26-2012, 10:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Your clean up crew is enough to devour that clownfish in a matter of minutes, doesn't matter the size of the fish. I've had the unfortunate visual of this. As soon as the fish hits the sand bed dead, it's gone within 10 minutes. Both the snails and hermits will eat any type of food and they are VERY efficient! You might find some orange on the sand bed (fish scales, but those would be the only remains).

Maybe move some rocks around. Your clownfish might be hiding somewhere. Good luck. Of nothing else, you know your cleanup crew is adequate.

30g FOWLR Tank
8g Mantis Shrimp Tank
all4wheels2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

The "two other small crabs" would be suspect. What type of crabs were these?
Old 11-26-2012, 11:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just curious cuz you said you just set up the tank a week ago. Did you transfer live rock or a filter from an existing tank? If not and if is only a week or two since setup then most likely it's not cycled.

+1 on the cuc taking care of it. Something goes in my tank and its taken care of pretty quick, especially if you also have other hitchhikers helping you don't know about like bristle worms, or in my case quite the nassarius snail colony lol.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:18 AM   #5

I didn't really think the crabs and the hermit crab could be that quick, since hermit doesn't move all that quickly and the two other crabs stay well-hidden, but who knows what happens in the hours when I'm gone? Another response to my post said that perhaps the fish died on its own because the tank hadn't cycled properly yet in only a week. I suppose that's possible, and then the crabs took care of the carcass. Thanks for your input!
Old 11-27-2012, 12:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starchar View Post
The "two other small crabs" would be suspect. What type of crabs were these?
I don't know what kind of crabs they were; they were I guess what you'd call "hitch-hikers", came in with the live rock (as did the hermit and snails). I tried to look them up, but the closest in appearance to one of them was the emerald crab. This one is only about 1/2-3/4" wide, but is sand-colored instead of green. The other one is small and looks sort of orange and white striped. Another post suggested that the new tank hadn't properly cycled yet and that the Clown may have died from that and then been "cleaned up" by the crabs. A distinct posssibility. Thanks for your answer!
Old 11-27-2012, 12:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithhjs View Post
Just curious cuz you said you just set up the tank a week ago. Did you transfer live rock or a filter from an existing tank? If not and if is only a week or two since setup then most likely it's not cycled.

+1 on the cuc taking care of it. Something goes in my tank and its taken care of pretty quick, especially if you also have other hitchhikers helping you don't know about like bristle worms, or in my case quite the nassarius snail colony lol.
I bought the live rock from a LFS, and I know it had "hitch-hikers" on it. Yeah, the tank set-up is only about a week old, but I had the water tested for all the "bad stuff" and the sales associate seemed to think it would be okay to introduce a fish at that point, as had all the instructions I've read. I have the Clearmax filter in and used Stability, so I'm not sure what the problem would have been, but I admit I'm new at this and there's lots of things I'm still learning about the process. Thanks for your reply!
Old 11-27-2012, 12:30 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

My emerald caught my domino damsel sleeping and killed it and ate it they are nocturnal and by you keeping the light off it might have found ur clown fish
Old 11-27-2012, 12:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HovaRockz View Post
My emerald caught my domino damsel sleeping and killed it and ate it they are nocturnal and by you keeping the light off it might have found ur clown fish
Oh! Really? I guess that poses a problem. I didn't put the crab in the tank; it came with the live rock, and it lives in places I can't get to, so removing it is next to impossible (it never comes fully out of the rock and hides in the various holes and depressions). How big is your emerald? Should I try to get rid of it? It's possible that the fish died on its own and the crabs only cleaned up after it, but I can't be sure without having witnessed it myself. Thanks for your reply!
Old 11-27-2012, 01:03 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well mines is the size of a quarter I will be setting a trap soon for him so I can catch him and put him in his new home which will be in my sump

Tags
clown, mystery

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com