Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-19-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

clown fish are not staying alive

Ok all of our leavels are perfect. But we have had 2 mated pairs and they will not stay alive for more than one week. Ph is 8.2, am is 0, nitrate is 0, and natrate is 0. Its in a 14 gallon biocube with nothing else in there. Please help us our lfs does not care about us. Please help us.

26 Gallon Bowfront. Clownfish. Six-line wrasse. Coral Beauty. 2 Chromis. Cleaner Shrimp. 2 Emerald Crab. CUC. || 36 Gallon Bowfront. Snowflake Clownfish. Six-line. Watchman Goby. Harptail Blenny. 4 Chromis. Cleaner Shrimp. 4 Emerald Crabs. CUC. || 29 Gallon. Pair of Snow Onyx Clownfish. Watchman Goby. Pistol Shrimp. Small CUC.
sstanle4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What test kits are you using? Is anyone using cleaning agents such as windex or freebreeze near the tank? Do you have anything at all on your hands when you put them in the tank. You don't want to use scented soap on your hands just before putting them in the tank. What are the symptoms the fish are showing before they die. Are the gills red before they die? Give us a full run down on what you tank is, the equipment you use, where you get your water, etc. Have you checked for stray electrical current? Look for a heater that has broken glass. Hope that helps. Most of all, don't give up but don't put anymore fish in until we figure out what is going on.

Old 11-19-2011, 04:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

How long has your tank been up and running
Old 11-19-2011, 10:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

We have had the tank up for about 5 months. We use the API test kit. We dont use any cleaning stuff around the tank. The fish were first swiming up at the top of the tank like they were gasping for air but the thing is all of the levels were perfect. Then they went down to the bottom and started to breath slow and then they died. Idk want is going on. This is the 2nd time this has happened. We have no clue what is going on.
26 Gallon Bowfront. Clownfish. Six-line wrasse. Coral Beauty. 2 Chromis. Cleaner Shrimp. 2 Emerald Crab. CUC. || 36 Gallon Bowfront. Snowflake Clownfish. Six-line. Watchman Goby. Harptail Blenny. 4 Chromis. Cleaner Shrimp. 4 Emerald Crabs. CUC. || 29 Gallon. Pair of Snow Onyx Clownfish. Watchman Goby. Pistol Shrimp. Small CUC.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:30 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do u only test for Ph amonia niytrates n nitrates? Have u tested for phosphates, alkalinity etc. Are the test liquid or strips
Old 11-19-2011, 11:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Well i would never recommend to have 2 clowns in a 14 gallon. If you include sand and rock, there is probably 10 gallons of water, and even less swimming room. Thats not enough for two 20 gallon fish if you ask me. Not saying thats the only reason they died, but a contribution to it.

Yes i agree with the above, and were there any external problems with the fish after they were found dead? And this is 2 pairs? So 4 clowns have died? How long in between the addition of the pairs?
Old 11-20-2011, 12:08 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok. First we had a pair of small ones. We had not one problem out of them and we had them for 2 months but then we wanted to get a matted pair. So we took them back to get a matted pair. When we got them the female was about 3.5 inches and the male was about 1 inch. They were fine till one week after they started swiming at the top of the tank like they were gasping for air. We cked all of our levels and everything was perfect. We went to sleep that night and woke up and the big one had died. The small one was perfect. So we called the pet store and they said if we brought a water sample and everything cked out then they would give was another pair. So we did and everything cked out all good. So we got this other pair. Now they did the same thing as the other pair but it only took them 3 days to die. Again the female was about 3.5 inches and the male was a little bit bigger like about 1.5 inches.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:11 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

pH=8.2, amonia=0, nitarte=0, nitrite=0,and we do the liquid
Old 11-20-2011, 12:32 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do you think it could be because of low oxygen levels? if so do you think we need a protein skimmer?
Old 11-21-2011, 12:52 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I believe I posted on another thread of yours. Suggested pointing a PH towards the surface for gas exchange. I agree that 2 clowns are too much for a 14 but that wouldn't kill them in 2 weeks. Are there any other fish in the tank? Also, you don't need a skimmer for better oxygen levels.

Tags
clown, clown fish, live

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com