Clown fish died?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jalexander24

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently got my 60 tank up and running, cycled the tank with live rock and waited a week after the cycle was through. All parameters were good, salinity at .025 and temp 76. I bought two clown fish and an anemone. After the first night I woke up and found one of the clown fish dead? I thought it might of been from acclimation and waited a few more days to see if the other would live and it did. So I added a smaller clown fish and sure enough same thing happened again? And thoughts of what might cause this? The clown fish I still have is alive and good same as the Anomone. Any info would be helpful!

Hmm, have you kept a log of your tank parameters? What were they exactly? Your tank is way too young to keep a nem, I would honestly take it back to the shop for store credit as the chances of its survival are pretty slim. Was the clown showing any sights of illness? Tell us a bit more about the tank, how did you cycle it, how big is it and what kind of filtration are you using, what kind of lighting do you have? Answering these questions may help us get to the bottom of the dying livestock...

No signs of illness from clow fish just woke up and found him on the bottom of tank. 76 degrees, salinity .025, ph 8.3 ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 30. I use the API saltwater test kit.

Hmm, nitrates are high, that is certainly going to upset the nem but shouldn't effect a clownfish. Are they, or now just one, fish the only one in the tank? Do you have a powerhead or something extra for flow?

That light isn't going to support a nem, and your tank isn't ready for the nem either. As bectan stated earlier you really should take it back as it will most likely die and could cause you more issues

Were they the same species of clowns? Clowns can be quite mean, it wouldn't surprise me if your one killed the other two. I don't see a nem or clown in the pic though

Those fluval LEDs left shrooms reaching for light in a 10, there is no way it will support that nem

15 mins bag in tank, take out do 50/50 mix put bag back in tank for 30 min, then put in fish without water that was in bag.

I would be using the drip method for acclimation, it will be much better for your livestock. I remember testing the salinity of some LFS water once and it was so low compared to mine! A drip acclimation over an hour should so the trick...

Back
Top Bottom