Clown fish Dieing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cjazinski

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all, my pump went out and i didn't notice it, also i have one light bulb that's out too much money to get it right now. My clown fish has been swimming towards the top and is coming out of the water gasping for air is what it looks like. His normal behavoir is swimming towards the bottom. The other fish in the tank are acting normal. The water is at 85 right now, because the heater was on, abit more then usual (due to weather) The water does have a yellowish tint, it's been about 2 weeks since my last water exchange. Any ideas on what i should do? Thanks.

First of all, get the temp down a bit. 85 degree is too warm and may be causing him stress.
Second, what are your water parameter? How long has he been in there? Any other symptoms?

is there a quick way to get the temp down?

is there a quick way to get the temp down? or should i just ease off the heater a bit till it gets to about 75+? water i haven't tested it. i will test that right now. he has been in the tank for serval months. he's a big black clown fish bigger then my other 2 fish damsels. 20gal tank. 1 light is out. will that be a factor i need to address soon?

Just turn the heater down, don't want to do it fast. Could throw the fish into shock. Don't need to go down to 75, 80-81 would be fine.
Ya, those water parameters would help.

Is there a lid on this tank or open top? If a lid is there, remove it. Is there ph or other circulation pump? They need one for the water to get oxygenated. They may be gasping for oxygen. I would check that and the other water levels - you will probably find something is not optimal.

You said your pump went out it might not have been cycling the water and therefore it was getting stale...and the fish needed to go to the top to get air...also the heat is to high I like to keep mine around 78-80. And as quarryshark said test your water I dont think yellow water is a good thing in my opinion.

I dont even run a heater on my tank. I had 2 powerheads in there and it got to 85* I removed one and now its right at 81*. The PH's heat the water so well that here in south Texas you dont need a heater.

I'm testing the water right now, i'm going to get my light and a new salt tester, my dog ate it :( the PH looks to be at a 8.6. The Ammonia tested to be 0.0. Nitrite levels are at 0.25. NitrATE levels look to be at between 40-60 ppm can't really tell anything any between. Thanks i'm planning on going to the LFS since i don't have a salt checker anymore. What should i get. Another quick question the floor of the tank seems to be getting really really dirty with green algea anything i can do to clean this. i have about 2 crabs, and 2 snails should i get more for a 20 gal tank? Thanks for any help. There is a top on my tank.

I'm testing the water right now, i'm going to get my light and a new salt tester, my dog ate it :( the PH looks to be at a 8.6. The Ammonia tested to be 0.0. Nitrite levels are at 0.25. NitrATE levels look to be at between 40-60 ppm can't really tell anything any between. Thanks i'm planning on going to the LFS since i don't have a salt checker anymore. What should i get. Another quick question the floor of the tank seems to be getting really really dirty with green algea anything i can do to clean this. i have about 2 crabs, and 2 snails should i get more for a 20 gal tank? Thanks for any help. There is a top on my tank.

the ph is a little high, a water change may bring it down a bit. Optimal PH is 8.1-8.4, but I don't think thats the issue.
Do you have any powerheads? If so you may want to point them towards the surface to get better gas exchange. Like srgetz stated, if you have a glass top, you may want to remove it (or part of it) and relacement it with eggcrate. Will also help with improving the gas exchange.
Do you have a skimmer? That along with water changes can help bring the nitrate down as well.
My feeling is that it may be the high temp, see what lowering it does.
As for the algae, do you have a PO4 test kit? High phoshate is usually the culprit with an algae outbreak. Hermit crabs and snails will help a little, but to solve it, you need to find the source.

I don't have a skimmer, i have a canaster type pump that has 1 power head at the top. The fish look better since i got the ph on and cleaned it out. Thanks for the help the little guy is going to be alright :) PS. Should i change the water with the levels mentioned above? thanks.

Yes do a water change to bring down your nitrates. They are way to high. Mine are below 10. About the yellowish tint, i have one too but my water is in pristine condition. I dont know wut it is. Maybe the lighting. Oh well

P-MAn

I agree that Nitrate level is a killer I suggest getting an inexpensive fish to help cycle the tank like a damsel or something. paying like 15 bucks a throw for clowns is alot. Doing 10% water changes every other day will help bring it down.

Good luck.

i already have damsels.why swould you want me to add more damsels? everything is still alive. i'll do the water changes. thanks i'll let you know how it goes. has anyone everused one of the canaster pumps that i have? are they worth a darn?? the aquarium i have is called the tropicaquarium 68. thanks.

Back
Top Bottom