ClOWN FISH GASPING FOR AIR??WHY??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roryb24

Aquarium Advice Regular
My clown fish spends alot of the time at the top of the tank and seems like he is gasping for air!?!?! is he sick? whats wrong?? what do i do to fix it and save him!?!?! i have 2 ohter fish one more clown they are a pair and a green manderan goby they are both just fine.

They could be stressed. Maybe they are gasping for air. Or maybe they are just weird. My fowface does that a lot. It can also mean there is a parasite in there gills

post your parameters dont just say they are fine,you may not have tested for something which is causing this.

Not sure what else is in there but presupposing your water params are 'fine'; most importantly ammonia and nitrite, I'd check to make sure you're getting enough oxygen exchange in the tank. Those Bio's are a pain since unless you remove the canopy there are almost sealed and prone to possible low exchange rates. If you just added another/more fish, then more so.

You'd like a nice ripple on the surface.. even better w/ the top off (of the tank)

Water parms would be nice but with these symptoms I'd look to amm/trite and/or o2 exchange.

I thought air exchange as well but the other 2 fish are ok. I would crack the lid open an have a powerhead angled up towards the surface.That's how I have both my powerheads an haven't had a problem.

do it and leave it like that overnight, see what happens.. what else is in there? anything new?

he didnt make it.
i think he was just really stressed out the other fish are still fine she was being really mean to him bitting at his fins and he was dead this morning!
suxs
thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom