Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-21-2006, 01:22 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to alaher2
It is not uncommon for the white dots to fall off after only a couple hours, but the problem is that when those dots fall off they are gonna multiply and return. So, when you see those dots keep falling off and then returning it is defintely not a good thing.

Old 11-21-2006, 01:22 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes I did read the articles. However, I haven't had the fish long enough to complete this cycle.
The spots were there, now they aren't. The female has none, and my damsel never has had any.

Old 11-21-2006, 08:30 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Some fish are naturally better at fighting it off. Here is what we did.
Get some fresh garlic, and selcon..
Next take one clove of garlic crush it ....the active ingredient is allicin.This stimulates their eating reponse ... the selcon boosts immunity ...take some mysis soak for 5-15 minutes feed your tank dont worry about the garlic getting in this wll get them to eat and beable to naturally fight off ich....
For a QT container you could use a tote bin so long as you dont add ANY meds to it ..
I am of the opinion that ich is present in all systems... it is just the fishes ability to fight it off. The only way to say that there is no ich is that every thing from fish to LR and corals are QT ....
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:01 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadielynn
Some fish are naturally better at fighting it off. Here is what we did.
Get some fresh garlic, and selcon..
Next take one clove of garlic crush it ....the active ingredient is allicin.This stimulates their eating reponse ... the selcon boosts immunity ...take some mysis soak for 5-15 minutes feed your tank dont worry about the garlic getting in this wll get them to eat and beable to naturally fight off ich....
For a QT container you could use a tote bin so long as you dont add ANY meds to it ..
I am of the opinion that ich is present in all systems... it is just the fishes ability to fight it off. The only way to say that there is no ich is that every thing from fish to LR and corals are QT ....
Garlic is not a cure for ich. It is an immunity booster and appetite stimulator. In a healthy fish it may help them fight off the parasite but your fish are already compromised. It won't hurt to give it to them, it may help give them a boost to get through treatment but it's not a cure. Just wanted to make it clear and not have anyone getting false hope. It has it's place but it's not a wonder drug.
And like Sadie said, a tote/rubbermaid tub can also be used as a QT/hospital tank. It will be easier to watch the condition and behavior of your fish during treatment though, in a clear tank.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:45 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Has anyone used this before?

Sounds exactly was I was looking for.

http://www.fishvet.com/6.html
Old 11-21-2006, 10:00 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have heard of others having good sucess with this product . But I am leary of sticking anything into a reef, or potenialy a reef .... I would use it in a qt but not the main system ... allowing your system to go fallow will starve the parasites as they need a host ... If you do use it use great caution in doing so ... A big part IMHHO of fighting ich is low stress enviroment for your fish
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:40 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

What is the concensus on killing Ich with temperature? I.e raising the temp to 86 degrees over the course of a week and perhaps supplementing with garlic?
Old 11-21-2006, 10:53 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Raising temps is risky and works well for fw, not for sw.

As for the bottle stuff, years ago I used a simular product in a fowlr system. I think it worked but only after using two bottles of the stuff. I can't even guarantee that it was what got rid of the ich since it was such a prolonged process. And for the price of the two bottles, I could have bought two QT tanks.

Not to sound harsh, but for the health of your fish, looking for short cuts is only going to give you more headache/heartache. It will also have you very frustrated, cause both you and your fish more stress than necessary and costing you way more than you would need to have spent than to just treat them right from go.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:04 AM   #19
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixand
Is it a common thing for Ich to Disapear off the fish in a matter of hours?
Just so we know, when the parasite falls off the fish it falls to the bottom where over 200 small fry known as tomites will emerge into the tank. And that from each one that falls off. The cycle has nothing to do with your fish and everything to do with the parasite. That being said the only way to treat your main is to break the 8 week life cycle of the parasite. And to do thatyou will have to leave your main fishless for that period of time. You`ll need to treat your fish to get rid of the parasite in a QT. IMO Hypo or Copper are the best methods to rid your fish of the parasite. You can try those miracle meds but I`ve been here a while and seen them come and go with not to great of results. I have seen hyposalinity and copper work with good results. Good Luck as you battle this parasite. It`s not over yet.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:14 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well, my buddy has a 10 gallon tank not being used right now.
Would the three fish be ok in there for the 8 weeks?

Anyone have a site with a step by step in doing this?

Tags
clown, clown fish, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com