Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-21-2006, 11:48 AM   #21
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadielynn
I am of the opinion that ich is present in all systems.
I know there is speculation on this, but if the tank goes fallow for 8 weeks and the ich starves/dies, where would the new ich come from?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:51 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

There wouldn't be any ich if you fallow your system and treat the fish. That is the only way to be totally 100% ich free.

They would be fine in a 10gal, just keep up on water changes and testing since you will in essence, be cycling the new tank with the sick fish. Also, it's a good idea to put in some flowerpots or pvc elbows. This gives the fish places to hide as well as area for good bacteria to grow. Good luck.

Oh, and the article I sent you gives you instructions. Also, at the bottom of the article are three links to informative sites on battling ich. Good luck.

Old 11-21-2006, 01:08 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Activist

I spoke with my LFS owner who have over 20 years in the hobby/business ( I.e not a kid working at the store ) and she suggested crashing the SG in one water change to 1.019.

She said the sudden water SG would kill the Ich 100% of the time, that the inverts would be ok, and to keep it at these levels for a week. Then water change back to 1.021-1.022. Said my current SG of 1.025 was alittle on the high side, and to prevent Ich, a lower SG is better. Temp of 80 degrees was fine, and to sup the food with garlic as an immune booster.

Thoughts?
Old 11-21-2006, 01:11 PM   #24
AA Team Emeritus

I think you have recieved good advice with the QT and hypo, if you want to listen to your LFS, I'm sure they will be happy to make more money off of you when you have to replace all of your livestock. Let us know how/if it works.....

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 11-21-2006, 01:34 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Activist

*edit*

You know what. I'm just gonna QT them. I called a local pet store and their 10 gallon tank was only 11 bucks. LOL I can swing that. Just need to find a place to keep it. I'll have to ghetto the whole thing though LOL. Do I NEED a new filter and airstone etc?
Old 11-21-2006, 01:41 PM   #26
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixand
I spoke with my LFS owner who have over 20 years in the hobby/business ( I.e not a kid working at the store ) and she suggested crashing the SG in one water change to 1.019.

She said the sudden water SG would kill the Ich 100% of the time, that the inverts would be ok, and to keep it at these levels for a week. Then water change back to 1.021-1.022. Said my current SG of 1.025 was alittle on the high side, and to prevent Ich, a lower SG is better. Temp of 80 degrees was fine, and to sup the food with garlic as an immune booster.

Thoughts?
8O

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:36 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Activist

While I enjoy the look of the surprised smilie, if you explained your surprise, it would be much more helpful. :P
Old 11-21-2006, 02:44 PM   #28
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Said my current SG of 1.025 was alittle on the high side, and to prevent Ich, a lower SG is better. Temp of 80 degrees was fine, and to sup the food with garlic as an immune booster.
There is actually a little decent advice, in this quote. The first part of this statement is incorrect. 1.025 is about the normal salinity, especially for reef tanks. Personally, I keep my 55G FOWLR at 1.020, to help prevent stress. I also use the garlic, to both boost their immune systems and promote eating.
As for the rest of the statement, personally, I wouldn't attempt it....But I don't have 20 years of experience, either....

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 11-21-2006, 02:56 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well....as I stated earlier in an edited post, I'm going to try the QT method.

I'll do a PWC tonight on my main tank, putting 5 gallons into the QT tank. I'll top off the main (getting the SG around 1.020-1.021 and keep it there from now on), and add 5 gallons to the QT of fresh water. Move the three fish to the QT tank, and start lowering the SG over the next couple days.

I'll of course document the entire procedure.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:58 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadielynn
I am of the opinion that ich is present in all systems.
I know there is speculation on this, but if the tank goes fallow for 8 weeks and the ich starves/dies, where would the new ich come from?
My reasons to believe this is that stuff can stay dormant for so long.... That in and of itself does not mean it to be fact.... But I have also do the qt thing and gone fallow for 12 weeks (no corals at all it was in the beginning of our system)placed our clowns in qt for that time treated with garlic , hypo , the display we increased temp to 82* and hypO treated it as well since it was only live rock and sand. Since the parasites can not live in hypO then it should kill them right? Well we placed them into the system and the clowns developed ich .... So where it came from is any ones guess because nothing was added ... So I do believe it is in every system , but because it is opportunistic and the clowns were healthy due to the stuffing their faces they fought it off . And survived .... they have not had it since....

Tags
clown, clown fish, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com